Bit surprising this one!

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Ignored, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

wow! That is shocking and terribly sad :(

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2009
  3. Mathale

Mathale Well-Known Member

For a woman to have been so suicidal, any legal binding contract should not have been allowed at all, all due to her not being in a fit mental state to realise the consequences.

We all do stupid things when we are upset, angry, depressed... no one should have powers over medical prevention. Life is so precious, that the capable should always try to make sure those in need are not incharge of destroying it. Should have been an overuling.

Always try try try try and try again to help this woman. Never stop.

4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

If she was mentally ill i don';t understand how this hospital could have allowed this. Treat her depression her suicdal tendancies don't kill her.

5. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I think there needs to be some added definitions to the purpose of an advance directive to prevent this kind of thing. How do we know the hospital staff did not take advantage of it after treating her before? Did they give up on her? The young woman did not have a terminal illness, and I don't see why the staff did not put value on life.

6. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

Anti-freeze fluid? That's glycol... Oh my god.

According to what I've learned, you can't even be saved after an ingestion of that amount. Well, if there have been any new medical discovery recently, that has made survival in cases like this possible, then the hospital did something horrible. Very horrible. That woman should have been put in 24/7 therapy, not six feet under. :(

7. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

Personally, I think that if you're going to commit suicide you shouldn't burden others in this fashion:

Such conduct is grossly selfish, and inclines me to think that she was less than fully committed to the act. Of course the rather ghastly method she used inclines me to think she was serious, so I'm unsure where I stand on this one. I don't blame the hospital for honoring her wishes, but I'd also not blamed anyone had they acted.

I'm also a bit surprised that this "living will" would be considered valid. The living wills my wife and I prepared were witnessed by two people and also notarized by the attorney who prepared them. IOW, I don't think a simple written declaration, which is what this appears to be, would fly in most of the USA. And I'm a bit surprised it worked in the UK. There's also something called a Holographic Will that's valid in many US states, but these are NOT valid in England, though they're allowed in Scotland and Wales. (I also have no idea whether or not a "holographic living will" is allowed.)

8. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

I read about this yesterday. Whilst terribly sad it also gives me a little bit of hope.

9. mistysautumn

mistysautumn Well-Known Member

I agree with someone who said that you shouldn't involve others in your actions. But, I think they made a good decision. It was her wish, she tried it so many times... She would kill herself eventually, no matter what. They just made it a little easier for her. That's what people don't understand. To them, life is too precious and even the person is in pain and really wants to die, they wouldn't allow it. They would say she's ill, put her in the institution and carry on with their lives. It's a big hypocrisy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.