Bizarre Law Suit Victories.

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Issaccs, Nov 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

2. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

hahahahaha! That's hilarious.
    You can thwack me over the head with whatever you damn well please if I'm gonna get $1,000,000 at the end!
  3. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

Considering the kid died I think it's pretty justified. I'm surprised they didn't get more.
  4. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

If I were to drop a breeze block off a bridge and kill someone would you say I was responsible?
    Or would you blame the producers of the breeze block for not producing bricks which might not have caused a fatality under the same circumstance.

Fact is, it wasn't the baseball bats fault he died. It was an accident, a shitty thing to happen that will have gutted his folks but an accident non the less.
    He volunteered to go out their and at the end of the day. He knew he was putting himself in a situation where heavy balls would be flying in random direction and while its not fatal, anyone whos played baseball or a similar sport (cricket for myself) knows that when the big heavy ball hits you, it bloody hurts.

The parents don't deserve shit and are profiteering off their sons death.
  5. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

I really don't agree with you. It's a way of making money off of their sons death. They might justify it to themselves that they're hurting the company, but people need to use common sense. It's a baseball bat. It hits baseballs making them projectiles. One could argue even that they put their child in harms way just by allowing him to play baseball. But that's not common sense, that's a stupid interpretation of the events. If they seriously were concerned about the baseball moving too fast for some people to react, then they should have gone a different route and gone for more safety equipment or something. Which in itself is stupid-ish. I cant believe they won, what a bunch of morons with their over sympathizing fear believing health and safety bullshit. I don't remember who posted it but there is this elementary school in the US that won't allow physical contact between kids for fear of them being hurt somehow. No high fives or tag or even a hug or a pat on the back. .. crazy shit
  6. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

More proof common sense isnt so common...
  7. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

I Agree completely, its insane that they can claim money from the bat maker.
  8. me1

me1 Well-Known Member

Indeed, it's the ball maker that should be culpable, surely? :p
  9. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

And there you have one of the many reasons why there is growing agitation for tort law reform.

I think that in the end people just need someone to blame for something. An intangible cause like simple misfortune just isn't as fulfilling, nor is suing the average joe that had struck the ball (or pitched it). But a faceless corporation, which lacks more sympathy from average folks like, say, those in a jury. Well there you go.

Then again how many people wouldn't escape into large sums of money in order to compensate for their grief. It's almost to expected I think.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2009
  10. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

Har-de-har-de-har =)
  11. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

People that were raised right?
  12. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

I'll give the family the benefit of the doubt. Maybe in their grief, they weren't really thinking clearly. Or maybe a law firm was "ambulance chasing" to drum up business and convinced the family to sue.

Litigation is costly. A lot of cases are settled on the courtroom steps just minutes before a trial is supposed to start. A $1-million award might be less expensive for the bat manufacturer than fighting the other side with any heat in the courtroom would have been.

Really, the only "winners" (IMO) in this care are the lawyers who likely worked long hours to earn their fees. The rest of the story is just very, very sad.

And schismatic: lol

13. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Well maybe I'm just a little cynical in this regard, but I think most people would think very differently about resorting to this sort of thing once they'd experience a loss. For all we know it could've been sheer vindictiveness on the part of the parents. And sometimes the money obtained from these lawsuits is used for a good cause, even if it was obtained misguidedly.

Though I guess it's assuming a lot to think they'd donate it to buy safety gear for the baseball team.
  14. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Tort reform. Because sometimes thing should make sense!

I sincerely hope that lawsuit would have been declared frivolous in Canada.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.