bleh...

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Xistence, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xistence

Xistence Well-Known Member

I have been really depressed over the past 4 months, and I don't know exactly why..

I was diagnosed with depression by my psych. I have most of the symptoms: suicidal thoughts, feeling down, loss of motivation, etc.

But... I don't understand why I am this way..

Maybe it is a chemical imbalance?

Or I could just be too shy.. I keep feeling like I'm unloved and that I don't matter.

I don't really know what is wrong with me. :sad:

Sorry for making a thread... :sad:

2. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

"I keep feeling like I'm unloved and that I don't matter."

I know that feeling that. You are not alone. :hug:

3. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i've always understood depression to be a mix of reasons; partly chemical, partly emotional, sometimes circumstances (like loads of stress or life changes), and of course our thinking patterns play a role.

talk therapy can help you work out the "why" but my community nurse told me something very helpful at the beginning of my recovery and that was 'actions before thoughts' ... that is, every day i took specific actions to tackle my depression ... once i was stronger then i was able to start therapy to look at the 'why' of it all.

but for the first 3 months all i did was follow the list of actions, trusting that they would lead me to a better place, and slowly, surely, they did. the more i 'thought' about my problems, the more i mulled them over and over and over and the deeper i sank. so, actions first, and when you are ready, you can untangle the why.

c

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.