Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by nolonger, Oct 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

Ok well this could seem really wierd and probly insane to ask - even for a fourm like this!.....

But has anyone wanted to be blind?....didn't think so. Maybe it's just me :unsure:. I'm so pathetic.

So many things in our lives are based on what we see. We've lost the ability to ear what someone is saying because we concentrate on what's in front of our face. Same goes for our sense of smell and sound etc.

I'm sorry but it's hard to explain.....but I feel as though I would be happier if I couldn't see. If I couldn't see I would be blind to the prejudices of sight. In a way, I would be essentially dead. We associate darkness with death. If I see darkness, I am dead. I wouldn't be socially anxious because, well, I wouldn't be able to see anyone. I wouldn't be able to see their smirks, grins, giggles, taunts. I'd hear them but I'd be unable to visually connect the two without meaning.

Essentially for me, going blind would be dieing. I would be living in my own world, as I cannot see others. I would be truly alone within my mind. Free of the pain that comes with seeing things.

None of this probly made sense, or seems sane. But I wonder what a surgeon would say if I wanted my eyes removed.....
  2. DannyBoy

DannyBoy Well-Known Member

Can't say I've wanted to be blind really....I have a major fear of being blind though heh
  3. foreverforgotten

foreverforgotten Well-Known Member

I unDerstand what you mean.
    if I had a choice Between being blind or deaf I'd pick blind.
    How much would it hurt To not hear music..or the sound
    of a loved ones distinct voice.
    Voices are more distinct then images for me. Like souls
    Without bodies expressed through
    Air waves. Each person having their own voice.

But besides that it seems my whole life would be different.
    My world would Be all that I can not see.
    Which Is up to the limits of your imagination.
    But the down side would be not seeing
    the positve things people show. Like smiles.
    Even thou you may be able to hear a smile in someones voice.

Maybe blindness Isn't actually blind.
    Maybe you see more in a way.
    And percieve more than the literal.
    I wonder if a hold of someones hand or a hug
    is different with your eyes closed?
    Maybe more is felt

But I still wouldn't want to be blind if I had a choice.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2010
  4. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

I can say personally I work with blind people on a daily basis and I see just everything you go through when you're blind. I have A LOT of respect for those that are visually impaired but I personally would not want to be blind.
  5. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

I don't know if I'd want to live if I became blind.
  6. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

I actually said something similiar to that if not the same, a few weeks ago. Now I'm thinking the only way I can continue living is if I can't see. This probly sounds really fucked up, and it's strange that I've formed this idea. My 'sanity' as sunk to an all-time low, and to something I'd never expect :blink:.
  7. Marz

Marz Member

I know someone really well who’s blind, not since birth, but since their thirties so they understand what losing your sight’s like to go through. I could go into all the things can still do, and what they can’t, but there’s one profound thing that this person told me which really made me appreciate the gift of sight. They said that they liked dreaming, because they could see. It’s something you don’t really think about, but imagine if that was your only way of seeing people, animals or anything you cared about.

P.S. I doubt any surgeon in the west would remove your eyes, although I’m sure they’re parts of the world where for enough money they’d do anything.
  8. Hmm.. I don't know about being blind but that will definitely annoy me everyday since I will be bumping and tripping everytime I'm going to the toilet or something.

And even though if you're blind and can't see the prejudice and stuff, I guess you can still feel prejudice, I mean some people might whisper whenever you're walking next to them. Or if somebody's laughing when you're waiting for the bus at the bus stop you might get paranoid that they're laughing at you. (Well.. I always get paranoid even if I'm not blind..)
    Have you thought about the prejudices the blind people feel?

I guess racial discrimination and judging people by their appearances might disappear if we were ALL blind, but people will eventually find alternative ways to distinguish others from themselves, like by their unique accents, the way they smell, how they feel (hairy or not hairy? smooth skin or rough skin?) and etc. After watching the film, Blindness, I thought about the raicial discriminations and other sorts of prejudices that exists in our society but as humans are intelligent social beings, sadly, discriminations are inevitable...

I'm not criticising your personal thoughts but I am just stating the disadvantages if you were blind. There's this old Korean proverb that goes like this: "If the body was worth 1000 dollars, the eyes will be worth 900 dollars." So please, value your eyes, that allows you to see the beautiful world.

Personally I love watching films so I guess I can't live without my eyes. Also I love the internet so.. xD it would be such a bother to use internet if I was blind.

I am really sensitive, and paranoid so I always overeact to people who tells me those things that hurt my feelings, it literally goes on for days... years... So if I had to choose, I might choose deafness, so I can block out people hurting me with their words. But then again, I love listening to music so, not really if I think of it.. Lol I'm going no where with this reply.

Anyways, I know reality is hard to face and at the same time to be sane, but we have to appreciate what we have. (oh God I'm such a hypocrite...)

LOL sorry for wasting space... my meaningless babbling.
  9. Untouchable

Untouchable Well-Known Member

I can see your point. However, I believe that being blind is a terrible thing. Sure the world can be a very ugly place, but even an ugly place like the world can have its beautiful moments.

Of course, you'll say, what kind of beautiful moments? People who have lived through nothing but pain and tragedy in their lives are uncapable of seeing the beauty in a place like that. When the world shows you its cruel face, you no longer care to see its other face. That's what happens most of the time, and I can connect with it.

Becoming blind doesn't kill you. You won't be dead. You'll be alive, but you'll no longer be able to see the world. That might sound relieving, as you describe, but trust me, it's not going to make things better.

I understand where you're coming from, however. If as humans we didn't have the ability to see, the world would be a different place. The Earth would be a different planet. Maybe worse, maybe better. But, it would in no way resemeble the world as we know it now.

You cherish something once you lose it. That's something I've learned from quite a lot of experiences. And I know and believe that being able to see is something I would never want to lose, because although I would perhaps be free of all the things I didn't want to see, one can only live in the dark for so long. I would miss a lot of things about being able to see. I would miss staring at pretty sceneries that calm me down. I would miss reading books. I would miss far too many things that I can't think of right now. My will to live might not be much present right now, but if I were to never see again, I believe it would disappear completely.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.