Blogging - some n00b type questions

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by worlds edge, Apr 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

I'm kicking around trying to start keeping a journal again. However, I usually follow a pattern where I religiously post entries for a week or so, get bored with it, then stop. Then start again after two weeks or so because I feel guilty about not keeping up with it, do that for about three days, then say the hell with it...Until I get the itch to start keeping a journal again, six or so months later.

At least I can be consistent about something. :tongue:

Anyway, I'm just curious if anybody is better at keeping a journal and/or blog than I seem to be. (Though how somebody could be worse at is difficult to imagine.) I guess what I'm looking for is pointers about how folks manage to do what I seem not to be able to do, whether an off-line or an on-line format is your preference, whether you have any particular preference for one format vs. another, that sort of thing.

I want to do this for several reasons:

• Candidly I've got some anti-life thoughts I'd like to put in writing. I understand and respect the terms of service here, and know that at least some of what I'd be babbling about would be a no-no.

• In complete contradiction to the above, I'm rather stumblingly trying to adopt a plan of self-improvement, at least as to getting my life in order. I think some feedback would likely be helpful.

• As little as I enjoy writing the entries, I do get a perverse kick about reading some of the older entries in what I do have saved.
      I'm going to try to do some 'serious' writing, where I cite sources and really try to think about things. (This is probably the least likely to happen...but a fella can dream, can't he?)

I actually did keep a Blog for a very short while at WoM. Then they disappeared, which was a bit frustrating. I'm also not sure what I'd be posting about would be kosher there anyway. I set up a livejournal account quite a bit ago, I may just dust that off.

Anyway, I'm just curious about what kind of experience other SF members have had with this.

2. ~Nobody~

~Nobody~ Well-Known Member

I keep a journal, it's a bound notebook. I've had several others before this one too.

I much prefer that to an online blog for several reasons.

Firstly, I like to draw. So obviously it's useful for that purpose.

Secondly, I can stick my journal in my bag and carry it around with me. Whenever I feel that I want or need to write in it - it's there. Even in a power cut :tongue:.

And thirdly, it's not there for the world to see. I can (in theory) write pretty much anything in it. I always have it on me, so I know no-one else can get at it and read it. If you want to be recording dark thoughts it's helpful to know no-one can read it.

I've kept typed journals in the past (though not online), and I've found that they have a few other disadvantages, purely because they're typed. Even if I didn't want to be able to sketch and doodle in my journal, I find it's deadly having things like copy and paste and delete. If you want to write something for other people to read, then of course you want it edited and sparkling. But if you want to keep a journal for yourself then I think it's better when you can't erase what you've written.

I have a 'rule' where I don't tear pages out. I always buy hardbound journals that you can't easily tear the pages out of anyway, so that I'm less likely to do it in a moment of anger.

But hey, all this is just me.

Just thought I'd offer you my two cents :smile:.

~Nobody~

PS. Anyway, you just know that a handwritten journal is far more romantic and dramatic and everything, don't you :tongue:

:laugh:

3. Wonderstuff

Wonderstuff Staff Alumni

:laugh: nobody, you're right there.
    Actually I've had various blogs over the past few years...quite a lot actually :laugh: and I've always found them to be good. On various different sites you can do different things to your entries - on LJ, Friends-lock is a very good feature for example, where you can restrict your entries so that only people on your friends list can read them. Opendiary has a "set to private" option but allows you to set usernames and passwords for a set number of people so they can read it too. Things like that. There are a lot of good blog services out there right now :)

4. ~Nobody~

Oh, one other thing to mention. I don't date the entries in my journal. It feels constricting. I draw a thickish line of some description between each entry, but unless I choose to mention it there's no indication of how much time has passed between two entries. I don't even start a new page, I just draw that line.

I like it that way. *shrugs*

5. Jackson

Jackson Guest

i kind of like to start them off by adding a few unrelated notes, like the date, time, place, even weather, because i find it rewarding to look back on it and surprise myself with a buried memory or wave of nostalgia. and if something important happened with a loved one or in the global community. and also to write in it every day(at the very least, "uninspired" or something) if at all possible. that's just me, though. there's definitly not a right or wrong way to go about it.

6. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

I think a good way to provide some symmetry to your entries and to give you something to write about even when you don't feel like it would be to write down 5-10 questions (like, what is my mood right now?, what is the best thing that happened to be today?, the worst?, etc.) Then answer those questions every time you do an entry. It will give your entries more focus and enable you to compare them with greater ease to mark your progress. Just a thought.

7. ~Nobody~

That wouldn't work, for me, personally. I like having more freedom in what and when I write. Sometimes I'll fill ten pages in an afternoon, sometimes I won't write a thing for five or six days. And that's okay, I think.

I find I do end up following patterns most of the time (for example, I often end up starting off my entries with a quote from a song or a poem). But if I felt like I needed to start every entry with a quote then the whole point would be lost.

If you want rigid, why keep a journal instead of a diary?

8. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback, all. Much appreciated.

I don't like the idea of handwriting a journal for the simple reason that my handwriting is just about illegible and even though it is illegible I can type about 10x faster than I can write by hand. My ability to write penmanship being just abou non-existent, I painfully write each letter. I wish this wasn't the case, but it sadly is. :mellow:

As for a public journal, I can see some issues with this, like giving away too much information, that kind of thing. Yet I like the idea of a relatively stable platform on-line, without needing to worry too much about HD failure or quite frankly losing a notebook, as I've done in at least one case with an older journal.

I guess the best advice is to keep trying different variations until you find the one that works for you. I'll probably dust off my LJ account and start using that, at least for a bit, but also type each entry in Word and C&P it over.

I like the other ideas mentioned, as in adding quotes, that sort of thing, or writing questions then trying to answer them. Will see how it goes, though given my past history I'll probably fail. Well, not the worst thing to happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.