Blood loss linked to always feeling cold?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by JustCallMeSam, Dec 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JustCallMeSam

JustCallMeSam New Member

Hi everyone. Huge apology incase this is in the wrong subforum. Anyway, for the longest time I've been trying to figure out why I'm always cold. It doesn't matter how hot outside or how many layers of clothes on wearing, I'm always cold. Mostly my fingers and toes. I was reading somewhere that blood loss can force the body to sacrifice blood in certain areas to keep the heart with enough blood. I've been self harming for several years on and off and I've noticed lately, the more I do it, the colder I get, and the more pale my fingers and toes look. Could these be related in any way? Thanks

2. Beck

Beck Member

it is a sign of anemia it can happen from blood loss it can become life threatening if bad enough

3. Rockclimbinggirl

Rockclimbinggirl SF climber Staff Member Safety & Support

You should ask your doctor to do a blood test to check your iron level, it's probably anemia.

4. Moat

Moat Banned Member

I do not think it is anemia, since I also have the same effects and regularly get check-ups from my GP - including blood tests, so it simply could be a result of the environment you live in, both outside and inside, of what the place you are living in is build of, the materials etc.

For something like blood loss to be a contributing factor in feeling cold, you have to lose a heck of a lot of blood at one time, so in terms of pints, 1 pint is 0.56826125 litres (UK standard conversion) and a healthy human adult can hold up to 10 pints, which means you would have to lose between 2 pints of blood ( 0.946352946 litres - US standard concersion) and 4 pints (0.946352946) of blood, so that pretty effectively rules out cutting as a reason for your feeling cold all the time in your extremities, since the average (sorry, I have no other choice but to use that word) cutter does not go deep and relatively stays at shallow, flesh wound cuts.

5. AlopexAngel

AlopexAngel Chat Buddy

Have you had your thyroid checked? Hypothyroidism can cause depression and the feeling of always being cold.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.