Blood (Possibly Triggering)

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Zurkhardo, Mar 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

I have a friend who cuts herself semi-regularly. I've noticed that she often bleeds profusely, because I've walked in on her a couple of times or noticed a good amount of bloody towels or the like (she doesn't necessarily keep it a secret from me, for better or for worse). Obviously, I don't like that she cuts, but the fact that she bleeds is what is currently most concerning. She's admitted to becoming weak or dizzy from the blood loss, and that she likes to bleed, cutting specifically to draw as much blood as possible. If this were unintentional, it'd be much easier to address. But she's pretty much addicted to bleeding.

Can anyone else relate with this motivation or feeling? What's the significance of the blood? And what can I do? I have some ideas in mind, but I'd rather read what others have to say?
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

She is getting a high off it the adrenaline that is release is the feeling she is wanting It is an addiction to her.
  3. Zurkhardo

I'm aware of the endorphin hormone that is triggered. But I know plenty of people who cut do receive that same "high," without the added need for having to actually bleed. But you're right, it's pretty much the same as any addiction. And I imagine that it'll therefore be very difficult to address.
  4. Moat

Moat Banned Member

Perhaps it is not the 'bleeding' that you need to address, but rather that she does not mind cutting when you are around. It could be more that she is doing this to gauge your response and see just how far she can push things before you act.
  5. Zurkhardo

That's a good point. I'll likely have to have a serious heart-to-heart with her about that.
  6. truthhurts

truthhurts Well-Known Member

I'd say the reason she's 'careless' around u might also be because of trust. I kno i tend to get a lil like tht around my best friend sometimes, not always intentionally. To exemplify: my mother wud freak out and if she saw new scars/cuts, she doesn't rly understand it much, wud prolly send me back to my psychiatrist or blame it all on herself etc etc, but as for my best friend, she'd prolly either ask if i wanted to talk or whether im okay. I guess im a little careless because i kno she wudnt make such a big deal out of it even if she noticed sth.

As for the blood thing, i'd say for me in a way it's alrdy the idea that the blood tht's flowing in me, my 'life force' so to say, is pouring out. And also the 'light' feeling is part of what i like. I dont think it's visual tho, for example i tried this drawing red lines on my skin thing, but tht didnt have any effect for me. Pain is part of what i like too, but my method is mostly cutting not too deep but not letting the wounds close up, so they'd bleed pretty much as long as i like.
    Hope tht helped understand tht viewpoint a little, good luck talking to her,
  7. aussiegal

aussiegal Well-Known Member

I find the blood for me is a sign that i have actually done it 'right'. Its a need for perfectionism. If there is no blood then I haven't done it deep enough which means I have failed at something else. You are right tho... the pain is linked with it too. I need to feel pain to know that I can still feel something.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.