blood test, mangled arms

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by doodles, Aug 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doodles

doodles New Member

Hello everyone,

Guess you're familiar with these awkward situations when it's really not possible to hide your self-harm souvenirs :sad:

So tomorrow I've got this doctor's appointment to get my blood tested, and, well, the insides of my forearms bear scarry witness to my inability to regulate my moods like the adult person I should be.

Of course, there's no way around this.
    But I needed to get my apprehension off my chest
    and wanted to ask what sort of reactions/comments you have encountered on similar occasions and how you coped without being swallowed up by shame.

I'm so terrified I'll meet with disgust and contempt, though I probably deserve it :sad:

2. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

To be honest, I've had so many blood tests and the nurses are so lovely. I've never had any comments or problems from anyone drawing my blood. You never know, sometimes they can be of productive help. If you are really worried then you could wear a tubi grip on that arm to cover the scars (this is what I do all the time). It works well.
  3. corang

corang Well-Known Member

Ive only had to show my cuts/scars to nurses or doctors that wasnt my psychiatrist once. They were very proffessional about it and just wanted to make sure I was ok.

Im sure theyll be professional about it to you too.
  4. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Staff Alumni

I give blood on a regular basis and they are really professional about these type of things and normal it's nothing they haven't seen before. I hope all goes well for you :hug:
  5. Vitreledonellidae

Vitreledonellidae Well-Known Member

Ive been there too, was really worried about that, I warned them before I showed them my arms and the nurse was like, dont worry we see that often. So Im going to say that to you too, dont worry, they see that often.
  6. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

They'll know what they represent, but they'll also be sensitive to the matter and most simply ask if you're ok....if anything. Don't worry about it. I was also, ironically, a blood technician, and it's nothing new.
  7. grinded serenity

grinded serenity Well-Known Member

Honestly, doctors and nurses have seen horrific shit before in there line of work. The few times doctors and other medical workers have seen my arms they have been very professional about it. Some have just taken the blood and not said a word.

Now in takes at mental hospitals are another thing.. Those fuckers will just laugh at you.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.