Body Image.

Discussion in 'Positive Feelings and Motivational Messages' started by FrainBart, Jan 20, 2014.

1. FrainBart

FrainBart Staff Alumni

I have recently started to accept the way I look and starting to feel comfortable in my own skin. But today, I found an amazing series of photography, (which I cannot share due to nudity) However the message behind the pictures is quite powerful and I would like to share it here with you all.

Illusions of the Body
    This series was made to tackle the supposed norms of what we think our bodies are supposed to look like. Most of us realize that the media displays only the prettiest photos of people, yet we compare ourselves to those images. We never get to see those photos juxtaposed against a picture of that same person looking unflattering. That contrast would help a lot of body image issues we as a culture have.

Imagery in the media is an illusion built upon lighting, angles & photoshop. People can look extremely attractive under the right circumstances & two seconds later transform into something completely different.

Within the series I tried to get a range of body types, ethnicities & genders to show how everyone is a different shape & size; there is no “normal”. Each photo was taken with the same lighting & the same angle.

Celebrate your shapes, sizes & the odd contortions your body can get itself into. The human body is a weird & beautiful thing.

I am willing should it be allowed to share the original photography to the people who wish to see it.
    I feel it holds a powerful message and I am glad to have come accross it.
  2. AnnieK

AnnieK Well-Known Member

i'd like to see the photos. struggled with society's view of what women should look like my whole life and don't understand when others [especially women!] disagree about how women are portrayed in the media. just read an article on jezabel [sp?], an online mag that showed before and after shots of a woman from i think the show or movie "girls", maybe lena somebody. you wouldnt' believe the comments [mostly women] shaming jezabel for showing before and after. saying the photoshopping was just "slight" and what's the big deal. that these magazines are all about fantasy , not reality....blah blah blah. really made me sick. body image is that insidious. when young women don't get it i feel powerless against the machine.
  3. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Would be interested in seeing the photos myself as well.
  4. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

photos were amazing. The photographer has talent.
  5. Aquarius123

Aquarius123 Well-Known Member

To break the vicious circle of acting against my own best interests
    And of being my own worst enemy,
    When it comes to solving any problem, help me,
    Great Spirit, Father/Mother of all life,
    To listen to Your help and guidance that comes
    From deep within my own heart, where You dwell.
    Help me to stop finding fault with myself and those around me,
    But to love and accept myself and them they way we are.
    Whenever I encounter difficulties, especially in relationships,
    Grant me the gift of the ability to first look to myself to resolve them.

From Healing Prayer For Relationships

‘The Spiritual Aspects Of Depression And Suicide’