Body Image

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by morgan, Jun 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morgan

morgan Well-Known Member

Hello.
    I've been having a spot of trouble with my body image lately.I can't stop gaining weight. I used to play on a sports team that worked out twice a day, six days a week; however, I was miserable and I quit. Now, no matter how much I diet or work out, I can't stop putting on the pounds.
    I'm not thinking about suicide per se (although I used to sh, it was for a different reason). I'm just having trouble adjusting to the new 'plus-size' me and it's making me depressed.

Any support from the SF community would be greatly appreciated :)

2. Young suicider

Young suicider Well-Known Member

Well if your dieting and work outs aren't working and you could just try to
    make yourself look thiner.

Like:
    Wear shirts that aren't tight.
    Get rid of big mirrors that you can see your whole body in...

It may make you feel better,you never know.

3. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

Is your weight in the healthy range for your height? Not everyone is built to be skinny, if you're exercising and eating right then you're likely the best weight for you.
    Buying flattering clothes for your body type and accentuating parts you like might help you feel more confident about yourself. :hug:

4. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

Hi Morgan,

I have been in the same position as you, since Christmas I've put on about 2 stone and I'm surprised it hasn't been more due to the quantities of food I've been consuming. I have just begun a serious diet again, and am increasing exercise.

I would recommend trying a different form of exercise, maybe something more gentle, like walking or swimming, as these can be very relaxing too, rather than working out in the gym around lots of buff people. Also ensure that your diet is healthy - focus on that rather than a weight-loss diet. Make sure you eat seven portions of fruit and vegetables a day, and reduce the amount of meat you're eating (ideally it should be one portion of red meat, one white and one fish a week). Drink 2 litres of water every day too. I'm sorry if this is patronising, but not everyone knows these things.

Travis' idea about clothes is a good one. Make sure your clothes fit properly, and if that means shopping for new clothes, make the most of it and take the opportunity to get some nice new things that are suitable for your shape (you'll find loads about this online).

Try to remember that being healthy is more important than your weight. Calculate your Body Mass Index and use that to make sure your weight is healthy, but other than that I would try to focus more on being fit and healthy. You may find that as you lead a healthier lifestyle you lose some weight naturally, and you will be happier, I'm sure.

Good luck, and keep us updated.
    Mim

5. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

Are you on a medication which is notorious for causing weight gain? I would research the side effects of any medication you may be on. Have you had a medical checkup since your weight gain? I take synthetic thyroid hormone for hypothyroidism and this disease seems to be turning into a silent epidemic.

There also is usually a radical shift in lean body mass regulating hormones (growth hormone, testosterone) between a person's late teens to early twenties if you are in that age range. I hope this problem works itself out soon.

6. morgan

morgan Well-Known Member

thank you all so much for the support!!! You don't know how much it means to me. I am in my late teens so maybe it is a hormone shift.

Obesity runs in my family on my dad's side but my mom has suffered from eating disorders. She's very critical about her own body image and mine. I really never thought about it as an opportunity to shop! Again, thanks for the new perspective.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.