Bombing and shooting in Norway, at least 17 dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prinnctopher's Belt

Antiquities Friend
SF Supporter
22 July 2011 Last updated at 18:14 ET

Norway has been hit by twin attacks - a massive bomb blast in the capital and a shooting attack on young people at a governing Labour Party youth camp.

At least seven people were killed in the bombing, which inflicted huge damage on government buildings in Oslo.

At least 10 more died at the camp, on an island outside Oslo, police say. One witness said he had seen 20 bodies.

The suspected gunman was arrested at the camp and the government have confirmed that he is Norwegian.

Police have said that he is also linked with the bomb attack. Reports described him as tall and blond.

Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg, whose Oslo offices were among those damaged by the bomb, described the attacks as "bloody and cowardly" in a news conference.

He said that Norway had been "shaken by evil" but that Norwegian democracy and ideals would not be destroyed.

"We are a small nation and a proud nation. No-one will bomb us to silence no-one will shoot us to silence," he said.

Norwegian media reports said the shootings at the island, on the Tyrifjorden lake, were carried out by a man in police uniform.

Several people from the island camp are still missing, government officials said. Police also confirmed that undetonated explosives were found on the island.

No group has said it carried out the attacks.
Car wreckage

In Oslo, rubble and glass from shattered windows littered the streets and smoke from the fires drifting across the city could be seen in television footage from the devastated government quarter.

Hours after the bomb struck, officials said some people were still inside the damaged buildings, some of which were on fire.

All roads into the city centre have been closed, said national broadcaster NRK, as security officials evacuated people from the area, fearing another blast.

Government officials urged people to stay at home and avoid central areas of Oslo.

Earlier Egil Vrekke, Assistant Chief Constable of Oslo police told the BBC the rescue operation in Oslo was ongoing.

"We are issuing warnings just [to] make sure people are not in the area in case there are further explosions," he told the BBC.

"We have cordoned off large areas. There are bomb experts at the scene investigating whether there are other devices in the area."

A few hours after the explosion, a gunman opened fire at a camp in Utoeya for young members of the Labour Party.

NRK journalist Ole Torp said there were reports the gunman had been armed with a handgun, an automatic weapon and a shotgun.

"He travelled on the ferry boat from the mainland over to that little inland island posing as a police officer, saying he was there to do research in connection with the bomb blasts," he told the BBC.

"He asked people to gather round and then he started shooting, so these young people fled into the bushes and woods and some even swam off the island to get to safety."

Mr Stoltenberg had been due to visit the camp on Saturday. Foreign Minister Jonas Gahr Store, who visited the camp on Thursday, praised those who were attending.

"The country has no finer youth than young people who go for a summer camp doing politics, doing discussions, doing training, doing football, and then they experience this absolutely horrendous act of violence."
'Focus on rescue'

State Secretary Kristian Amundsen said Friday was a public holiday in Norway so the government offices were not as busy as they might usually have been.

"But there are many hundreds of people in these buildings every day," he told the BBC.

"We have to focus on the rescue operation - there are still people in the building, there are still people in the hospital."

Reuters said the oil ministry was among the other government buildings hit, while NRK journalist Ingunn Andersen said the headquarters of tabloid newspaper VG were also damaged.

"It's complete chaos here. The windows are blown out in all the buildings close by," she told AP.

Oistein Mjarum, head of communications for the Norwegian Red Cross, which has offices nearby, said the blast could be heard across Oslo.

"We have never had a terrorist attack like this in Norway - if that's what it is - but of course this has been a great fear for all Norwegians when they have seen what has been happening around the world."

The United States has condemned the "despicable acts of violence" in Oslo, while the President of the European Council, Herman Van Rompuy, said he was "deeply shocked" by "these acts of cowardice for which there is no justification".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14256712

Prinnctopher's Belt

Antiquities Friend
SF Supporter
Oslo, Norway (CNN) -- At least 80 people are dead as a result of a rampage Friday on a Norwegian island, police said, an attack that came shortly after an explosion killed seven others in the Scandinavian nation's capital.

Police have detained a 32-year-old Norwegian man who they suspect opened fire on scores at the ruling Labour Party's youth camp on Utoya Island, about 20 miles from Oslo. Police spokesman Are Frykholm, who told CNN early Saturday about the death toll spike, said authorities are investigating further, based on information from the man.

That attack and the massive explosion in the heart of Oslo are definitely linked, police said.

Seven were killed in the attack in the Norwegian capital, officials said. In all, 90 people were hospitalized as a result of the Oslo blast, said Erik Hansen, a spokesman for Oslo Mayor Fabian Stang.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe/07/22/norway.explosion/index.html?iref=BN1&hpt=hp_t1

peacelovingguy

Seems that this case is not as simple as it seems.

The media have portrayed an image of a neo nazi which is incorrect.

The facebook page reported on - was not the original. The views this man expressed online were middle of the road stuff. His manifesto is a cut and paste special if ever there was. I mean, he is using someone else's words!

He was a freemason - pro Israel, and I think he detested Muslims which is not unusual. However, he never attacked Muslims (there are plenty in Denmark) and he murdered a load of kids - and innocent people.

The lone wolf? Or someone who has been used?

I know one thing - there is something called a 'false flag operation'. Israel once had their agents bomb Synagogues in Egypt - to blame Muslim extremists. They got caught.

In the UK - the British Intelligence service have had informants who are terrorists, drug smugglers and allowed to get away with a certain amount because sometimes the state needs people killed - and cannot afford to be caught red handed. So they use people.

Al Queda - that is a example of the USA training and funding a terror group to attack the USSR in Afghanistan. Also Bosnia - the same Muslims who were expert fighters went over.

Trouble is the student becomes the teacher eventually - and the original CIA 'plan' has backfired and the Muslims have held the biggest army in the world to a draw and a stalemate.

Also - with the Denmark situation - there was a visit by several high ranking politicians to the Island - possible he had a target lined up. Helicopters with armed response were ten mins from the massacre. The authorities in Europe have to be alert because we kind of expect teams of armed men to go on a rampage anyway. The media whips it up so much there will be Muslims who will buy that scenario.

There are many homegrown terrorists in the UK - but thankfully ours are pretty much not lunatics. The IRA would never have done anything like this.

Anyhow - the families will want answers - the killer has saved himself because he thinks he has some answers. We will listen carefully, patiently and every detail of his life will be exposed soon enough.

The victims, many slain before they started to live - most happy and many radical kids who stood up for things like Palestine - a cause that this man detested.

To murder children - the man is a piece of sh** no matter what.

My prayers for the families of the dead and the survivors also - traumatised, but I hope, they will not end up suffering too long.

Maybe its time to arm people now.

Too many innocents getting killed for my liking.

But maybe, I'm just upset - and having guns is just a dumb idea that will lead us all to having more guns - explosives and machine guns on the roof just in case.

A world of fear - not love.

No thanks.

Kaos General

What i find more sad is people feel contempt and outrage for Casey Anthony but yet feel nothing for what happened in Norway. Now that is more disturbing seeing as mosr of these people claim to be christian.

justMe7

? Everyone i've talked to seems to care, and those that dont, don't really care about anything outside of their bubbles. It's horrific and confusing. :sad:

Underground

What i find more sad is people feel contempt and outrage for Casey Anthony but yet feel nothing for what happened in Norway. Now that is more disturbing seeing as mosr of these people claim to be christian.
I've also noticed (here in the UK) that there is more coverage of Amy Winehouse's death .....

This is a much bigger event than them two for sure, but tbf I didn't know who Casey Anthony was until the other day, but then again that's an American case.

foolnomore

I don't know what papers you read or what news programmes but my paper has had the Norwegian killings on the front page and Amy Winehouse several pages from the front and the news programmes are full of the killings. Everyone I speak to has said RIP Amy but then talked at length about the shock and anger over these killings. So not everybody is obsessed with a singers death sad as it maybe it wasn't a surprise to anyone.

hornbeam

I don't know what papers you read or what news programmes but my paper has had the Norwegian killings on the front page and Amy Winehouse several pages from the front and the news programmes are full of the killings. Everyone I speak to has said RIP Amy but then talked at length about the shock and anger over these killings. So not everybody is obsessed with a singers death sad as it maybe it wasn't a surprise to anyone.
Agree.

Im glad that the murderers spiel in the courthouse (whatever it was) was done privately. I dont want to listen to "his" reasons why the people he murdered had to die - that would give him more coverage than he deserves.

Hache

I saw one of the tabloids with Amy Winehouse on the front, the Norway killings a tiny box next to it.

One of the usual trashy papers, cannot remember which one.

I guess the defence is that the Norway incident happened on friday, was front page on saturday. Amy Winehouse died on saturday and was thus front page news for sunday. Not that I agree with that.

Prinnctopher's Belt

Antiquities Friend
SF Supporter
If the terrorist was ARAB or MUSLIM, this would be prime headline news all over the world for months. But he's Christian, white, blond and blue-eyed, so now we must think with regards to him, "what went wrong"?

justMe7

Well it's an internal issue. If this happened in Canada with a canadian it'd be just as big, same with america, Ireland ect..

If he was a cliche muslim or arab as youre stating, it would be more of an external issue brought into the country, vs an internal issue.

There's more to jump on if he was a muslim or arab. It provokes a greater deal of a reaction because peoples opinons and views are already there and narrowed on this. But when it comes to this guy? In this country, and the way he did it? :S People aren't prepared for it. It's not shoved down our throats that brown people are potential terrorisits. That a guy with a beard and a Turban is out to destroy our way of life. Ect..

Im not really sure the point of your comment, though you are right, it's just the emphasis? It sounds like you feel insulted that this isn't being blasted through the media head strong. Ask someone on Norway how much publicity it is getting. Outside of it? Sometimes too much publicity is a bad thing. There's enough right now for what's happened. Online it's always on google news for updates, and many others. In the papers, in a foriegn country? Unless there is a major development, it's more than likely not going to be front page material.

Anyhow.. how the world views this really doesnt matter. They'll use it how they want to, much like everything else. Guess it does matter... god knows what ways this will be used to justifiy certain things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX2pKVjI1Vk&feature=player_embedded

Regardless... this is horrible. I didn't know he spent 90 minutes stalking those people. :sad:

Hache

It is big news but it won't last because he's a mentally ill psycopath and there is no intelligence to suggest it is anything more than just him prepared to do this.

The word psychopath is key here, it highlights that he has abnormal values of human life within the society he lives. Jihadist often come from countries where war, rape, murder and torture are common experiences, their social experiences and enviornment for some act as real effects and not mentally ill ones. There are cells all over their world, in their hundreds if not thousands, holding a political view backed by hundreds of thousands.

Until and unless the authorities can connect him to other cells, and a movement is unearthed then this man remains a lone murderer.

There's no marching into Afghanistan to put an end to this. This is just one guy who has taken islamaphobia to a level never seen before because he is a deranged human being.

Last edited by a moderator:

Underground

Is there psychiatric proof he's mentally ill? Sorry, just need to ask that, because everyones saying he's mentally ill.. just because he's a deluded mass murderer doesnt mean he's mentally ill.

justMe7

Well to a degree he is. He irrationally used opinons and views to justify murdering people. Though I suppose that point is arguable actually...

Maybe people just say he's mentally ill because he's mentally fucked. :mellow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00