Book Club?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woowoo

SF Artist
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I've always enjoyed reading, but I haven't done much of it recently as my concentration hasn't been great.

I need some motivation and was thinking it might be nice to share the experience. So, I just wondered if anyone would be interested in a book club where we pick a book and read a certain amount of pages a week and discuss what we think of it?

I'm not sure who likes reading, but I know you do @Daisy111 I think you mentioned reading @Paisley and I've seen you post in the What are you reading thread @HumanExMachina and @Sunday16

I won't be offended if you're not interested. It's just an idea.

Please tag anyone else that might be interested

Karmitkurmit

King of the Hedge
SF Supporter
I'm so befuddled these days that I don't think I'd keep up with a certain amount of pages, but it's a great idea @Woowoo and I'll certainly take and give recommendations. Oddly, I was thinking about posting in Karmit Korner (if it worked :rolleyes:) about a book I've just bought today. I'm currently on my own in a pub in the Cotswolds, gate crashing a wedding reception, but decided to settle down in a corner and read whilst tapping my foot to the appalling live music :confused:

I'll post the title and author when I head back in, it's amazing!

Looking forward to seeing what you decide to read. {{Hedgehugs}} all :)

Paisley

SF Artist
SF Supporter
I've always enjoyed reading, but I haven't done much of it recently as my concentration hasn't been great.

I need some motivation and was thinking it might be nice to share the experience. So, I just wondered if anyone would be interested in a book club where we pick a book and read a certain amount of pages a week and discuss what we think of it?

I'm not sure who likes reading, but I know you do @Daisy111 I think you mentioned reading @Paisley and I've seen you post in the What are you reading thread @HumanExMachina and @Sunday16

I won't be offended if you're not interested. It's just an idea.

Please tag anyone else that might be interested
I do like reading but sadly I don't think I'll be able to participate until I'm done the classes that I'm taking right now. Should be getting my highschool diploma in August.

Karmitkurmit

King of the Hedge
SF Supporter
"Elizabeth Is Missing" by Emma Healey...bought just to keep me occupied on this trip and I'm reminded of how damn good I am at picking books! :cool: One of the few things I am good at, but that'll do me. Read it. I'll make my comments when I've finished it. :)

Woowoo

SF Artist
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
"Elizabeth Is Missing" by Emma Healey...bought just to keep me occupied on this trip and I'm reminded of how damn good I am at picking books! :cool: One of the few things I am good at, but that'll do me. Read it. I'll make my comments when I've finished it. :)
What genre us it Karmit?

Woowoo

SF Artist
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Maybe because trying to get folks like us all on the same page reading the same book at the same time is like trying to herd cats with firecrackers:) I think an SF Book Recommendation thread would have more success. Like an SF version of Goodreads.
Probably a very good point @HumanExMachina We'll give it a go and if it didn't work then SF Goodreads is a great idea. Thanks :)

Woowoo

SF Artist
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I've just Googled it and it sounds good @BumbleBee It's

Here's the description:
The monster showed up after midnight. As they do. But it isn’t the monster Conor’s been expecting. He’s been expecting the one from his nightmare, the one he’s had nearly every night since his mother started her treatments, the one with the darkness and the wind and the screaming… This monster is something different. Tonight, when he wakes, there's a visitor at his window. It’s ancient, elemental, a force of nature. And it wants the most dangerous thing of all from Conor. It wants the truth.
Patrick Ness takes the final idea of the late, award-winning writer Siobhan Dowd and weaves an extraordinary and heartbreaking tale of mischief, healing and above all, the courage it takes to survive.

It's been made into a movie too which will be released soon

5193HHYh7kL.jpg

Woowoo

SF Artist
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
@Karmitkurmit 's book sounds really good too. "Elizabeth Is Missing" by Emma Healey.

51Cn8kXps4L.jpg
Here's the description:

Maud is forgetful. She makes a cup of tea and doesn't remember to drink it. She goes to the shops and forgets why she went. Sometimes her home is unrecognizable - or her daughter Helen seems a total stranger.
But there's one thing Maud is sure of: her friend Elizabeth is missing. The note in her pocket tells her so. And no matter who tells her to stop going on about it, to leave it alone, to shut up, Maud will get to the bottom of it.
Because somewhere in Maud's damaged mind lies the answer to an unsolved seventy-year-old mystery. One everyone has forgotten about.
Everyone, except Maud . . .

I would like to read both books, but I think @Karmitkurmit is well ahead of the rest of us. Maybe as @BumbleBee has only just started hers the rest of us could give that a go. What does everyone else think? @Daisy111 @Witty_Sarcasm @texaskitty ?

Maybe we could read the other one afterwards if @Karmitkurmit recommends it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00