Books

Status
Not open for further replies.

Secret wounds

Im not sure if i should be posting this here but i was wondering if anyone could recommend any good books i could read. I'd like something that makes me think about things differently, i do like a good depressing book. The last book i read was Marilyn Manson's Long road out of hell and it was great!! Nothing about crime or the war please! :biggrin:

Lady E

You also might want to look in the 'reviews' section but a few of my personal favorites are
"Running with scissors" by Augusten Burroughs
"She's Come Undone" by Wally Lamb (a true masterpiece!!)

S

suicide_ideation

The Catcher in the Rye. A 'must-read'. My all time favorite book. A true classic, the story will stay with you forever. By recluse JD Salinger. I recommend it to everybody.

S

suicide_ideation

BTW, the catcher in the rye, is one of the rare books, I've read, and I read it twice. And I'll read it again, and again.

hammockmonkey

Hmm, that takes out my favorite book, Journey to the End of the Night, its about both war and crime.

Darkness Visible By William Styrone (sp?)

A Confederacy of Dunces John Kennedy Toole. This book is awesome.

Zueri

"It's Kind of a Funny Story" - Ned Vinzinni. The book is about a depressed teen who spends a week in the mental ward after contemplating suicide. It's has a humorous tone, despite the plot, and the end is quite uplifting.

"Ivanov" - Ivan Chekhov. It's a wonderful, highly readable, and presents a plausible story. A middle-aged man falls out of love with his wife and neglects her. She falls ill, and he doesn't spend enough time caring for her, and so she passes. Subsequently, he realizes how stupid he's acted towards her, how brilliant a person she was, and decides to pull the plug....

"The Vampire Chronicles" - Anne Rice. A narcissistic vampire challenges the world's every limit. In the last book, "The Devil Memnoch," he is stalked by the devil and meets God. He gains extensive knowledge of the creation of the world, and his insatiable curiousity and constant questioning causes him to go insane.

"Don Quixote" - Miguel Cervantes. A Spaniard indulges his unhealthy obsession for fairytales, and ends up believing he's a knight. He makes a fool out of himself, killing flocks of sheep because he thinks they're opposing armies, and fighting windmills because he sees them as evil giants. He regains sanity at the end of the book, only to die shortly afterward.

"Anna Karenina" - Leo Tolstoy. An aristocratic woman has an affair with an charming, respectable officer. It becomes public, and she is forced into social exile. In the end, the tension caused by her relationship and her paranoia about her lover's feelings towards her cause her to throw herself directly in the path of an oncoming train.

Can recommend more, if ya want. :D Books are my love...my life...my passion. :P
(Yes, I'm that much of a geek. :dry: )

I remember liking "Homecoming" by Cynthia Voight, and all the other books in the series she wrote, as well as "the outsiders" by S E Hinton. Oh and The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold, but it might be a little triggering.

TDM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$170.00
Goal
$255.00