Borderline Personality Disorder (DSM-IV criteria - the diagnosis)

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by catecholamine, Aug 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. catecholamine

catecholamine Well-Known Member

I was encouraged to post the diagnostic criteria for illnesses on here by the people in chat. If the mods see fit, they may want to merge this post with the BPD sticky. I didn't post it there because no one seems to look at comments in that thread, so I figured no one would see this. I got the okay for posting this from WildCherry.

THIS IS NOT MEANT TO BE USED TO SELF-DIAGNOSE. I can’t stress this enough. It is meant as educational material, either to better understand your diagnosis or to use as a talking point with your doctor or other qualified mental health professional.
    The DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders – currently in edition IV) is used in the United States (and in some other places, too) to diagnose mental illnesses. This info comes straight from it, copied by me as I own a copy for my classes.

DSM-IV criteria for Borderline Personality Disorder

301.83 Borderline Personality Disorder

A pervasive pattern of instability of interpersonal relationships, self-image, and affects, and market impulsivity beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:

(1) Frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment. Note: Do not include suicidal or self-mutilating behavior covered in Criterion 5.

(2) A pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal relationships characterized by alternating between extremes of idealization and devaluation.

(3) Identity disturbance: markedly and persistently unstable self-image or sense of self.

(4) Impulsivity in at least two areas that are potentially self-damaging (e.g., spending, sex, substance abuse, reckless driving, binge eating). Note: Do not include suicidal or self-mutilating behavior covered in Criterion 5.

(5) Recurrent suicidal behavior, gestures, or threats, or self-mutilating behavior

(6) Affective instability due to a marked reactivity of mood (e.g., intense episodic dysphoria, irritability, or anxiety usually lasting a few hours and only rarely more than a few days)

(7) Chronic feelings of emptiness

(8) Inappropriate, intense anger or difficulty controlling anger (e.g., frequent displays of temper, constant anger, recurrent physical fights)

(9) Transient, stress-related paranoid ideation or severe dissociative symptoms

If you have any questions about this information, feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer.
  2. 1Lefty

1Lefty Well-Known Member

Thank you, a nice addition to the research I've been trying to do, since it comes up often when talking with my psych doc (who seems fixed on this to the exclusion of any other diagnosis)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.