Borderline Personality Disorder

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by GoldenPsych, Feb 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldenPsych

GoldenPsych Well-Known Member

OK, I know I shouldn;t do it as puts thoughts in your head but there was this online thing DSM-IV i think which is a scale things that is used in diagnostics by medicals etc and I got some results which said I prob have BDP. I have done a few different tests online which have pretty much shown the same thing. I dont wanna self diagnose or anything or even mention it to doc as being a psychology student I am aware of validity of tests etc. So I did quite a few different ones which have all pretty much said the same thing.

Does anyone have BDP and what are you experiences of it.

The link is one of the tests

http://similarminds.com/cgi-bin/newpd.pl

Personality Disorder Test Results
    Paranoid |||||||||||||||| 62% 49%
    Schizoid |||||||||||||||| 62% 53%
    Schizotypal |||||||||||| 50% 53%
    Antisocial |||||||||||| 46% 47%
    Borderline ||||||||||||||||| 82% 47%
    Histrionic |||||||||| 38% 43%
    Narcissistic |||||| 22% 41%
    Avoidant |||| 14% 39%
    Dependent |||||||||||||||| 70% 37%
    Obsessive-Compulsive |||||| 30% 40% ]

*scores on right are the average web score

Basically on most things I am no t €hat much above average except on dependent and borderline.

Can anyone make sense of this?

2. GoldenPsych

http://similarminds.com/personality_disorder.html

This one should work.

How did you go about getting diagnosed. I have basically just been given antidepressents and told to see a counsellor every few weeks as she is not at My doctors surgery that often.

3. Blackness

Blackness Guest

that was fun:
    Paranoid |||||||||||||||| 62%
    Schizoid |||||||||||||||||| 74%
    Schizotypal |||||||||||||||| 66%
    Antisocial |||||||||||| 50%
    Borderline |||||||||||||||||| 78%
    Histrionic |||||||||||| 46%
    Narcissistic |||||| 26%
    Avoidant |||||||||||||||| 66%
    Dependent |||||||||||| 46%
    Obsessive-Compulsive |||||||||| 34%

4. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Paranoid |||||||||||||||| 70% 49%
    Schizoid |||||||||||| 46% 53%
    Schizotypal |||||||||||| 42% 53%
    Antisocial |||||| 22% 47%
    Borderline |||||||||||||||||| 74% 47%
    Histrionic |||||||||||||| 58% 43%
    Narcissistic |||| 18% 41%
    Avoidant |||||||||||| 46% 39%
    Dependent |||||||||||| 42% 37%
    Obsessive-Compulsive |||||||||| 34% 40%

I kow that i am paranoid, but what is bordeline lol?

5. GoldenPsych

messy, irritable, depressed, fragile, worrying, emotionally sensitive, does not like to lead, phobic, weird, suspicious, low self control, paranoid, frequently second guesses self, dependent, unproductive, introverted, weak, strange, unassertive, submissive, familiar with the dark side of life, feels invisible, rash, vain, anti-authority, heart over mind, low self concept, disorganized, not good at saving money, avoidant, daydreamer, unadventurous

Is what I am apparently. I didnt always used to be like this. I odnt get how I can be vain and have a low self concept but never mind. It is obviously what is going on at the moment which is making me feel like I do. I know I shouldn;t read too much in to things as they are not that valid. Being a psychology stdent in my final yr have done loads of work on the validity of questionnares. There is some out there which are quite valid but then others aren't. It does worry me that this could be quite valid. A lot of the questions have come from the 16PF which I know is valid as I have spent hours and hours researching it!

6. butterfly12274

butterfly12274 Well-Known Member

Paranoid |||||||||||||||| 66%
    Schizoid |||||||||||||| 58%
    Schizotypal |||||||||||| 46%
    Antisocial |||||| 30%
    Borderline |||||||||||||| 54%
    Histrionic |||||||||||||| 54%
    Narcissistic |||||| 30%
    Avoidant |||||||||||| 50%
    Dependent |||||||||| 34%
    Obsessive-Compulsive |||||||||||| 42%

Paranoid, hmm, that's what my current diagnose at Brugge reads as well :p

7. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

oh god... 75% of writen is like you would describe me...:sad:

8. lost_child

lost_child Well-Known Member

BPD is something psychiatrist/doctors use for anyone whose outside "normal" in there eyes...if someone has experienced trauma in their lifes and reacts outside the "Normal" spectrum..you will be diagnosed with BPD...if you have anger problems..you will be diagnosed with BPD.

Sorry, but everybody in someone's eyes will have BPD..if a shrink thinks your behaviour is irratic for what ever reason...its BPD.....sorry its just another label, that people don't need!!!!

and yeap I was diagnosed with BPD, then depression, then PTSD, now DID.....labels do nothing to help anyone, just my thoughts.

9. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

Intresting and probably right, but my psychiatrist has never suggested that i have boderline personality as well.

Paranoid |||||||||||||||||| 78% 49%
    Schizoid |||||||||||||||| 62% 53%
    Schizotypal |||||||||||||| 58% 53%
    Antisocial |||||||||||| 46% 47%
    Histrionic |||||||||||||| 58% 43%
    Narcissistic |||| 14% 41%
    Avoidant |||||||||| 34% 39%
    Dependent |||||||||||| 46% 37%
    Obsessive-Compulsive |||||||||||| 50% 40%

10. GoldenPsych

It is quite interesting that people who have taken the test who are dpressed are showing that they may have BDP. Really though the chances of that actually being true are very unlikely so I am thinking maybe it is the way we feel that influences the the questionnare answers. I am going to have started an epidemic of people going to the doc saying I think I have BDP... the internet says so. The internet can lead to self diagnosis, and I bet Doctors have had so many more people come to them since the internet caught on saying i think I have this. From doing psychology I know a lot of these tests are not really valid and dont tell you much, the results can be affected by things like the type of day you have had, where you are when you take it and how you feel when you take it. I suppose that is why full psychiatric assessments are taken out on people. A questionnare can not give a diagnosis by that alone. So if we all think of those questionnares as a fun thing...

I have looked in to BDP more by doing more research on it and seems as though I do have a lot of the characteristics of it, but then maybe they are just what goes hand in hand with depression and anxiety. I get mood swings, I can be very impulsive, I engage in risk taking behaviour, have little self control, and cant limit myself amoungst other things.

There are quite a few quizes/tests on there. What weird and wonderful type of person are you. I looked at some of them, although a lot of them are regulary used in psychology... such as Rotters Locus of Control and the big 5 a lot have been remodifired with different questions so although the original may be quite valid maybe these shouldnt be.

11. perry_mason

perry_mason Well-Known Member

Schizoid |||||||||||||||||| 78% 53%
    Schizotypal |||||||||||| 50% 53%
    Antisocial |||||||||| 34% 47%
    Borderline |||||||||||||||||| 78% 47%
    Histrionic |||| 14% 43%
    Narcissistic || 10% 41%
    Avoidant |||||||||||| 50% 39%
    Dependent |||||||||||||| 58% 37%
    Obsessive-Compulsive |||||||||| 38% 40%

personally i wouldnt put much faith in these sorts of test things

12. amei

amei Well-Known Member

Schizoid |||||||||||||| 54% 53%
    Schizotypal |||||||||||| 46% 53%
    Antisocial |||||||||||| 42% 47%
    Borderline |||||||||||||||||||| 82% 47%
    Histrionic |||||||||||| 42% 43%
    Avoidant |||||||||||| 42% 39%
    Dependent |||||||||||||| 58% 37%
    Obsessive-Compulsive |||||||||| 34% 40%

13. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

Paranoid |||||||||||||| 54%
    Schizoid |||||||||||||||| 70%
    Schizotypal |||||||||||||||||| 74%
    Antisocial |||||| 26%
    Borderline |||||||||||||||||||| 82%
    Histrionic |||||||||| 38%
    Narcissistic || 10%
    Avoidant |||||||||| 38%
    Dependent |||||||||||||||| 70%
    Obsessive-Compulsive |||||||||||||||| 66%

14. Paranoid |||||||||||||||| 70% 49%
    Schizoid |||||||||||||||||||| 82% 53%
    Schizotypal |||||||||||||| 54% 53%
    Antisocial |||||||||||| 50% 47%
    Borderline |||||||||||||||| 66% 47%
    Histrionic |||||||||||| 42% 43%
    Narcissistic |||||| 30% 41%
    Avoidant |||||||||||||||| 66% 39%
    Dependent |||||||||||| 42% 37%
    Obsessive-Compulsive |||||||||| 38% 40%

*scores on the right are the average web score*

15. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

Paranoid |||||||||||| 50%
    Schizoid |||||||||||||||| 66%
    Schizotypal |||||||||||| 42%
    Antisocial |||||||||||| 42%
    Borderline |||||||||||||||||||| 90%
    Histrionic |||||||||| 38%
    Narcissistic |||||| 22%
    Avoidant |||||||||||||||| 70%
    Dependent |||||||||| 34%
    Obsessive-Compulsive |||||||||| 38%

16. Skott

Skott New Member

That was fun. Oh boy am I messed up!

Schizoid Schizotypal Antisocial Borderline Histrionic Avoidant Disorder eh?

"SSABHAD" - What's a disorder without an abbreviation? Am I right?

Let's reorganize those letters. "HASSBAD" The has bad disorder. I like it.

Paranoid |||||| 30% 49%
    Schizoid |||||||||||||||||||| 82% 53%
    Schizotypal |||||||||||||| 58% 53%
    Antisocial |||||||||||| 50% 47%
    Histrionic |||||||||||||||| 66% 43%
    Avoidant |||||||||||||||| 70% 39%
    Dependent |||| 14% 37%
    Obsessive-Compulsive |||| 18% 40%

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2008
  17. SweetSurrender

SweetSurrender Well-Known Member

Golden i think you are very right about these tests, and i agree with lost child entirely. A psychiatrist has said that i have borderline traits but to be honest i don't find the label that important. Being borderline, depressed, psychotic whatever...is not who i am, it is simply the disorder/illness that i have. I think the problem with borderline disorder is that it is linked to our personality, and my issue was where do 'i' start and the disorder begin?? But if you find that you identify with any of the borderline traits, it simply means (imo) that you may need to work on that particular area. Take anger for example - my personal favorite :tongue: I get very angry, often for no reason, i'll see a person do something i wouldn't do and i get wound up thinking 'but why would they do that? Its stupids....lalalalala' - now for me its not important why i get angry but how i deal with this anger...i could (and often have) go home and cut to release the anger but i could also try and distract myself by exercising, doing something to help someone, focusing my energy on another sight, smell, sound.
    Diagnosis's are simply a guide to help a person get better. As long as i am able to function, build relationships, have a career, enjoy my life as much as i can then you can label me whatever you like because i will still always be me.

18. titanic

titanic Well-Known Member

True! And sometimes a label they 'stick' on people just because the mental health professionals feel that person cannot be treated. An easy get out!
    Someone I knew (who has had several diagnosis) was told by their dr; if you carry on behaving like that you'll be a schizophrenic! :blink:

19. titanic

They even have a category labelled; Personality Disorder NOS (Not Otherwise Specified). :rolleyes:

It is natural to believe that there is something defective about a person’s brain when he or she behaves in a difficult-to-understand manner. In fact we have all asked ourselves ‘’why did I do that?’’ when we have done something we considered foolish or destructive. Consequently it has been all too easy for the medical model to attempt to reduce behaviour down to the most simplistic terms possible. A person’s behaviour is seen as being determined, not only by conscious choice, but by his genes and chemistry. Because this model has a deterministic basis to it, it can be used to control the lives of others. Most importantly, the medical model fails to properly explain the element of human choice. It fails to show that the behaviour is there for a productive reason, as a chosen strategy to protect a person’s delicate selfhood. (T.y C. Colbert, 1996)

20. titanic

Oh no!! My counsellour just done the test, turns out he could be schizotypical.
    Not much chance for me then is there! :biggrin:

Paranoid |||| 14% 49%
    Schizoid |||||||||||||| 54% 53%
    Schizotypal |||||||||||||||| 66% 53%
    Antisocial |||||||||| 34% 47%
    Borderline |||| 14% 47%
    Histrionic |||||||||| 34% 43%
    Narcissistic |||||||||||| 46% 41%
    Avoidant || 10% 39%
    Dependent |||||| 30% 37%
    Obsessive-Compulsive |||||| 30% 40%

Thread Status: