Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by toffeekitten, Feb 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toffeekitten

toffeekitten Well-Known Member

my boyfriend just came back from a drive and told em about 15 mins later that he came very close to attempting suicide while he was out! I know it was cos of me and I can't handle it! I have been feeling crap all day and I really dont need this! i know thats selfish...HELP!
  2. Wastingecho

Wastingecho Well-Known Member

you're going to have to trust me on this - it was not because of you

by the time we've gotten to this point, it's something that has been building for a long while

and no, you're not being selfish

sometimes it's so easy to blame ourselves ("if i'd only seen" or "if i hadn't done that") especially when it's someone we feel close to

it's definitely not easy trying to handle things in general when someone we know wants to kill themselves

the best you can hope to do is try to draw him out a little and see if you can provide even the least little bit of support and comfort - and no, that's not easy either

good luck and best wishes for both of you
  3. toffeekitten

It was cos of me...its cos ive been sui all day and he is very worried about me, thats why he went on the drive :-(
  4. Wastingecho

so let's try to help you then

other than this issue with your boyfriend, what's bothering you?

can you talk about it?
  5. toffeekitten

family...trapped at home with my abusive mum
  6. Wastingecho

wow - that sucks

trapped how? is there a reason you can't leave or someone else you can go to?
  7. toffeekitten

nowhere for me to go...waiting on my friend to say i can stay with her
    other than that i cant afford my own place
  8. Wastingecho

hope you manage to get out - hope it helps to make you feel better

have you looked into a therapist or counselor or something? Sometimes having a professional "listener" can help you put things in perspective

i'm just an amateur, but i'll listen as long you want to keep talking
  9. toffeekitten

thanks, i do have a counsellor...but she is away this week
  10. Avarice

Avarice Well-Known Member

Try to explain to your boyfriend that him feeling suicidal and saying things like that just make you feel even worse and even more like giving up. He's not helping you in the least bit and if he wants to be a good boyfriend then he needs to man up and be there for you, not crumble up himself and contemplate leaving you alone in the world to handle everything yourself just because he's 'worried'. To me, that sounds very selfish of him.
  11. Wastingecho

and keep posting here until your counselor gets back

as you can see, there are lots of people here to help you get through this
  12. toffeekitten

thanks, you make a very good point avarice :)
    Ive made him go to see his counsellor today...but she is useless so it will prob wind me up what she says.
    bleh...i really want to see my best friend but at the same time she is the last person i want to see because i have shut everyone out and put my defences up, to the point where i literally cant talk about it, and i dont want to, which is not like me! :-( I really dont know what is going on with me atm!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.