Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by Sardaukar, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Well-Known Member

Sadly, I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, I dont have these in depth, philosophical thoughts that others do, I dont understand most things as well as others, and I am a slow learner. For someone cursed with an overactive, enquiring mind, this is very frustrating. However, I have found some handy nutrients that actually helped me get through some difficult exams. Anyway enough of that, nobody reads this shit anyway, here are some brain nutrients:

Omega 3,6,9 - these vital fats are essential for optimum brain function, as they form part of the structure of brain cell membranes. Make sure you take it in the optimum ratio, and ensure a high level of EPA and DHA

Ginkgo Biloba - helps to increase blood flow to the brain, usually takes a few weeks to start working.

Pantothenic acid - 100 -500mg
    Choline 500 -1000mg
    Phosphatidyl serine 30 - 100mg
    DMAE 100 - 500mg
    PABA (warning, this affects your mood, and could make you feel awesome,and its LEGAL) 50 -100 mg
    pyroglutamate 250 - 750mg

synergy is the key, if you can find a supplement that contains these things in a capsule then take it, keep in mind that it will only be affective if you already eat healthily and supplement accordingly. Avoid coffee, as this affects the absorbtion of nutrients. So if you are studying, or just need a boost, try this advice, it can take some time to work, but when it does you will notice a MAJOR difference.
  2. Isabel

Isabel Staff Alumni

Thanks for the info. And actually, I think it's good to be reminded regularly how nutrition affects us. When in depression, we tend to minimize or neglect the importance of a healthy lifestyle on our mental well-being.
  3. LightInTheDarkestNight

LightInTheDarkestNight Well-Known Member

I was told by a family member who was listening to a psychiatrist that many people are on anti depressants when if they did cardio for 30-45 minutes 5 times a week they wouldn't need to be on it.

Another herb that can help is called Ashwagandha or winter cherry it has a host of benefits.

For some people the effects can be sedating in higher doses therefore it's good to be taken before bed almost as a sleep aid for insomnia. For others in lower doses it can have almost a mild stimulating or invigorating effect.

There's another study relating it to being an adaptogen where men with low testosterone and sperm count it raised the testosterone level by 40% and people with a more normal level got a 15% raise taking 5grams over 3 months. The % withanloides plays into effect on this as well.

I've also read that it aid in restoring balance to the HPA axis and help people deal with adrenal fatigue by regulating cortisol, among one of it's effects.