Brand new therapist

Marvin1971

Today I did an intake assessment for mental health services because I want access to a supported employment program but he former goes with the latter.

I have some complex mental health problems which have failed to respond to treatment over a number of years with a number of therapists. In fact, therapy has left me worse off in life and badly traumatized. I wouldn’t go again except I can’t access supported employment otherwise,

I requested not to be assigned a relatively new therapist saying that it wouldn’t be fair either to him or her, or to me. I was told that, unfortunately, there was no control over who I would get.

I have looked my therapist up and, according to her linked in profile she is fresh out of college and has been doing the job since January.

Any ideas what I should do about this? The last time I saw a brand new therapist, all hell broke loose.

Any ideas what I should do about this? The last time I saw a brand new therapist, all hell broke loose
I guess you could tell the therapist about the problems that you had in the past.

You might also tell her that therapy has failed for you in the past, and that you are only going because you are required to in order to get access to the employment program. Hopefully there's a way she can emphasize not going backwards in therapy over trying to make progress.

I have some complex mental health problems which have failed to respond to treatment
Do you want to say what the problems are? It's ok if you don't.

By "failed to respond to treatment", do you mean that you've tried treatment methods other than therapy which haven't worked?

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
Are there other more trained folks to choose from in the office? Maybe you can see this person and if it doesn't work out well then you can switch.. and keep switching until someone is a good pick for you. Thing is, sometimes a fresh new person might be less jaded and not just there for the paycheck like an older, more seasoned person may be.
There are advantages and disadvantages to both is what I'm thinking.

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
They all have to start somewhere just like when you see psychiatrists and they ask if its ok if students sit in. I think you should give this new counselor a shot, it is worth it I think :)

DrownedFishOnFire

Back into the wild where I belong. Out of your way
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
You can have a 30+ year experienced Therapist and he/she sucks. Some people are naturally gifted in this field and with more better education/training resources/approaches nowadays the newer ones are decent fresh out of the door with more zest and motivation to change or help someone that seems to be a hopeless case. They have training and you do not know their entire background. They might have 20+ year experience dealing with mental health themselves/family members. It is just a rude assumption to judge them before meeting them. Show up to Therapy with a new slate and explain your beef with the Ts in general and outline what you want to work on which is Employment.

Marvin: good luck there hope it goes great for you

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00