Breaking the ice here

Discussion in 'Mid Life and Getting Older (New Forum)' started by DrownedFishOnFire, Oct 4, 2016.

1. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Don't know if I am in the mid life stage or the itch to go back to school stage. Guess I am just dealing with health issues as this is a define bad year with series of misfortune that has left me a weary traveler resting the bones looking back at what I have taken for granted in my youth. Time isn't so kind to some of us, Warriors that made it this far for another day.

2. Frances M

Frances M Mountain Woman

I'm in the mid-life stage I think. I also have an itch to go back to school, but I never will because I can't stand being around other people. I actually did go back to University a few times over the years, but I think I realize that I just wanted something a little new in my life. I started to paint and that scratched my itch. I lament sometimes about my youth and all the wasted years, but I think that all people have regrets, it's just part of maturing and realizing how to live our lives with what we've been given.

3. Striking

Striking Well-Known Member

I'll be starting nursing prerequisites in January. I'm terrified of failure plus all the other social factors. Working with younger people will be a challenge as well if most of my co-workers are to be used as a barometer.

4. Striking

Striking Well-Known Member

Dating is a challenge. How do I explain to all of these "got it together" women that I spent most of my life in a haze of depression and anxiety. It's embarrassing to admit that I know very few people, cannot share stories like they can, have little monetary or educational success, haven't traveled, and am confused by the dual requirements of masculinity and femininity that they all seem to want.

5. draws

draws Active Member

A big part of my downfall is how my body is falling apart, mostly attributed to perimenopause, but also the after-effects of breaking my ankle, almost 5 years ago now. Didn't seem like the thing that would be the end of any hope of happiness for me, but my life has been in a steep downward spiral since then. This body pain and weakness is not how I see myself at all. I don't want to accept it!

6. Frances M

Frances M Mountain Woman

I know how you feel. I was alone for 20 years and only started dating in my mid-forties. I was terrified of anyone knowing about me. Why I was alone so long, didn't work, no family/friends, and needed to manage mental illness....but my approach was truth and honesty. I used an online dating site and I put it all in my profile, not in detail or negatively, but honestly. I'm sure it made lots of men run fast, but I was surprised how many others have experienced a lot of what I have. As for the requirements of male/female, do you mean traditional roles?

7. Frances M

Frances M Mountain Woman

I'm in perimenopause too and I find my body weakening too. It's kind of startling. Making pasta yesterday, 15 minutes of kneading and I have upper back pain this morning lol...I dislocated my knee 10 years ago, and I'll tell you, I feel those after-effects daily. And the added bonus of arthritis in my hands...I don't want to accept it either!

8. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

I'm 58 now. Not sure if that is middle aged, middle-middle aged, or late middle aged - nearly senior...yikes! lol It's a number...But, even though in my own mind I'm still young, my body reminds me from time to time I'm not. *dunno* lol

9. Wiltingone

Wiltingone Well-Known Member

I just noticed this new forum and wondered whether I belong here or in seniors. My mind's perception tells me I'm in the right place but my body says I should definitely be in the seniors, and late stage at that. If I could turn back time ...

10. Kira75

Kira75 A little Gelfling with Big Dreams!

I'm 'middle-aged' or so my 14yr old son tells me! However, my mind is stuck in my late 20's and my body is behaving like it's in my late 60's. I'm so confused. I just don't know who I am or where I fit in. Identity crisis! I'm not sure if I need to rediscover myself or accept what I have become and move on. Either one is so scary so it's just easier to do nothing. I know that's not an option anymore though. I need to choose. ???

DrownedFishOnFire likes this.
  11. Claudia UK

Claudia UK Well-Known Member

May I join the banter? ..lol Ok, I am certainly middle aged :) I am almost 52 and and like some of the members who replied on here feel" my age especially in the morning when I get up and everything snaps ,crackles and pops..lol but my mind is still young and I want to keep it that way. I guess when we reached that age we are less afraid of trying new things and still keen to learn and explore. :)

Wiltingone and Kira75 like this.