brittany murphy dead at 32

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Mordeci, Dec 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

didn't see this posted so I thought I would. Actress brittany murphy died of cardiac arrest at 32 today, she was probably best know for her work in Clueless, Sin City and Don't say a word. I usually don't care about celebrity deaths but this one kind of hurts she was one of my favorite actresses.
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

She was so young to have a heart attack How heart breaking for her family.
  3. Bob26003

Bob26003 Well-Known Member

was it drugs?
  4. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

They didn't say but she went into cardiac arrest at 32 so I would assume it was either drugs or a undiagonsied heart condition.
  5. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

I cannot confirm it Bob, but I guess it was. I mean, heart failure at 32?!
    Omg, it's so sad.
  6. Datura

Datura Well-Known Member

Cardiac arrest ≠ heart attack.
  7. Disappear

Disappear Well-Known Member

8. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

Probably either drugs or an eating disorder.
  9. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

I have to admit this was my initial thought, she became very tiny in the last couple of years.
  10. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

She did deny having an eating disorder, but I would too if I were famous. Even so, I doubt that she had one, she wasn't Mary-Kate Olsen skinny. It is a shame she went so early, she was one of my favourite actresses. I loved her in Spun (a movie about crystal meth addiction) but my favourite role of hers was Luanne in King of the Hill.

R.I.P Brittany.
  11. pit

pit Well-Known Member

I still can't believe it. She seemed to be one of those actresses who would be down to earth and could hang with anyone.
  12. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

I dont want to sound so negative here but cardiac arrest at 32 and someone famous... overdose and probably a suicide. I dont see the need to cover these things up for the rich and famous. Terms like cardiac arrest and accidental overdose. Give me a break. It is what it is. Maybe if so many werent covered up the rest of the world would see just how serious suicide is!!!!! Rich and famous or poor and desolate. Suicide is the same for anyone. A extremely desperate solution to end the pain.
  13. Disappear

Disappear Well-Known Member

Yes exactly, I couldn't agree more. Why don't they ever just come out and say SUICIDE. Look around, no one ever admits that. why not? Surely these people aren't silly enough to take an 'accidently' OD, get real.
  14. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Very sad :( She was such a talented actress. According to TMZ she had been having flu like symptoms for days and told her family she was feeling very ill hours before she passed away.
  15. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

Only the autopsy will reveal the cause of death. Cardiac Arrest can happen at any age (maybe not childhood, I'm not sure). Although, she was addicted to painkillers, it could have been an accidental overdose like Heath Ledger (if his was accidental), I doubt it was suicide. Of course, I could be wrong, I didn't know her, but I'm not going to jump to conclusions.

And Disappear, they don't publicize suicide much, especially with celebrities, because they don't want it to be popularized or seen as an okay thing to do.
  16. Little_me

In fact,
    media do have a policy about whether publishing information about suicide among famous people or not, because research has shown that suicide reports in media has increased the cases of suicide for some reason. I read this somewhere.

So I assume that this might be a covered up suicide. Maybe, maybe not but it's very likely. Her poor body was crammed with different medications... :(
  17. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

that is so sad, so many actors have died this year...
  18. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Yes it is a fact that cardiac arrest can and unfortunately does affect any age. That is very tragic, so unpredictable and scary.

I'm sorry but that is the biggest "cover up" of the media ever. How does a person "accidently" overdose? You need to get the meds from a doc. They explain how to take and when to take the meds. The pharmacist that fills the script tells you again and there are written instructions included or at the very least on the actual container. Most times there is a detailed paper listing the side effects and dangers of the meds. So when a person decides to take more than the prescribed amount there is nothing accidental about it. Granted they may not be feeling suicidal, but they are aware that they are taking a risk by not following the directions.

So they add to the stigma of it being taboo. That there is something ethically or morally wrong with you because you are having those thoughts and feelings. The message is that you are wrong and should just let it go, forget about it.

Making the public more aware of what is really happening will get people more involved. People become more educated, especially when it involves someone in the public eye. It doesnt mean that it will make it "alright" or popularize it. It means that it will get the attention it deserves and that mental health issues will be brought to the forefront. Look at the awareness and monies raised by organizations and illness that are recognized and supported by celebrities. When Aids first became known it was thought to be so taboo. Now it is one of the most recognized, researched, supported and financially backed causes in the world. Once celebrities started sharing their stories and admitting that they had Aids, the skeletons were out of the closet and the stigma disappeared. It can be that way for suicide and mental health issues too. The media and the "rich and famous" only add to the stigma and make it so much more difficult for those suffering from thoughts and ideas of suicide.

It is a tragic loss that Brittany Murphy has passed. I do pray that it was because of "natural" causes or a physical illness. I would hate to think that a young person was forced to "hide" their illness because it would leave such a horrible taboo ending to what was a wonderful career and person. But if it was suicide, the media should let it be known. Her death may not of been in vain if it means her passing will create an awareness that will help others.
  19. Little_me

20. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

well said itmahanh, I agree completely.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.