Broke down in therapy

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Butterfly, Apr 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

I had a massive breakdown in therapy today. I burst out into tears when I was describing current problems I am facing and discussing them in the group. It's the first time that I have ever got really personal in therapy as I really struggle to talk about my problems. I talk about things like my thoughts, triggers and anxiety and I always do my homework and do what they tell me and work really hard but I have never gone as deep into my problems as some of the other group members have, and even today, wasn't even the half of it. I have never felt so uncomfortable. It really hurt. I know it's supposed to but I'm a mess now. I felt really selfish for taking up everybody's time and I even said so whilst I was in tears. I felt so embarrassed and so stupid and now I feel really down about it. I know it's going to continue to get harder, and I don't know if Ive got enough in me to keep it going.

2. Northern

Northern SF Supporter

I really hear you when you say that you felt embarrassed and stupid but it's not the reality. You did what you go there to do.

Ask yourself this: When people really open themself and cry, do you think they are egoist and stupid? Do you think they are embarrasing themself? I'm sude you don't. It's the opposite.

I feel you are on the good way.

:hug:

3. may71

may71 Well-Known Member

Not only is expressing what you feel what the therapy is for, but it makes it easier for others to do the same. Not selfish at all.

4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Youi are leading the way for others who have difficulty opening up to do so as well Good for you hun to trust enough to share what is happening

5. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Butterfly, I'm so sorry to hear what happened but you so much good here and a lot of people will never forget that. Take care and if you want to talk, then PM me.

6. Koji

Koji Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time with therapy Butterfly, hopefully it will be worth it and it will ultimately help you.

7. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Therapy is hard there's no question about that, it may be a hard day today but a hard day today is going to make it easier further down the road, I am proud of you for opening up, well done hun. And best of luck in future.

8. MisterBGone

MisterBGone Well-Known Member

When we open ourselves up and share our personal stories with others it can leave us feeling vulnerable and exposed. Realize though that your problems are of equal importance with everyone else in the group. That's part of the dynamic. I hope you feel much better today. Taking this step of giving something of yourself with the choice of what and how much to share is probably a necessary step in the therapeutic process. In other words, perhaps you will begin to reap some of the benefits and rewards at some point soon.

9. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

I don't really feel worthy of being there or that I should even talk about my problems. Some of the people in my group have experienced horrific things in their childhood and I havent. The only reason I suffered in my teens was because I brought it all on myself.

10. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I am so sorry you feel like that but please do not take this the wrong way. I totally disagree with you as life is important and you deserve to be listened to. I think you are brilliant and keep trying you best to be kinder yourself. Be strong and never doubt yourself. I am not trying to be horrible to you but trying help you. Be safe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.