Broken Bone Stories Wanted

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Chargette, Feb 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I'm 54 years old and until last Saturday, I had never broken a bone. I think I made up for all that time. I'll tell you what I can through my one handed typing.

This thing hurts real bad. I didn't realized that these things hurt like this. I broke the ends of both forearm bones just before the wrist. The ulna compressed into itself and the radial compressed and splintered. The first splint put on it at the civilian hospital was a joke. I went to the VA hospital Tuesday and they are good at splints. My arm was made more comfortable but the pain is still considerable.

I'm scheduled to go back to the VA next Wednesday for a follow up. One person said they are not decided if they will need to do surgery, As much as I'd like to avoid surgery, after seeing the x-ray, I would feel better about how it heals.

In the meantime I get to practice patience and wait on the process.

Sooo, to help me pass the time, I'd love to hear your broken bone stories.
  2. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

I have broken a few bones actually... My first broken bone was actually a Skull Fracture. I was on a bike ride with my sister when I was 10 a van pulled out into the street so I slammed on my brakes they weren't working and I ended up flipping over the handlebars in an attempt to avoid the van and the bike slammed into the bike of my head.

I've also broken my finger and my arm. both came from playing football in high school.
  3. Fitzy

Fitzy Well-Known Member

I'm 52 and pleased I have never broken a bone but clearly there's time !
    I've had a few broken hearts though!!
  4. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

I have broken the same toes the same way twice. I am a bare foot person. You rarely see me in socks let alone a pair of anything that resembles a shoe, in winter, spring, summer or fall. Well one day i was walking my horse back to the barn form the pasture when he stepped on my bare foot. I knew it was bad when I could see the bone from the skin that had been torn away.

I went to a local hospital ( I lived in the country so local was actually about 1/2 hour away). When I got there, the doc exrayed and said nothing he could do. He didnt even clean it. Said go home clean it and but my foot up. It never healed right. I lost most sensation in those toes.

Almost same scenario but this time we were heading out of the barn to the pasture. Same foot same toes. But this time when the doc took xrays he reported that a nerve had been pinched in the bone when it healed and question what idiot didnt catch that last time. Guess what idiot that was??? Yep .... him (lol). He was running circles around himself when he figured that out (lol). Regardless the damage was done. And yes I dont go barefoot around horses anymore (lol). Now I make sure I'm atleast wearing flipflops!!
  5. LogDork

LogDork Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Oh goody, a scar contest. A game I'm good at :)
    Hit by a station wagon in 78, compound femur, bones came out the front, they had to take skin grafts off my left leg to fill the missing chunks.
    So, I was a little drug fiend teenager after that, rode around east portland on a mountainbike at night. bad boy.
    At 17 I decided it would be in everyones best interest (especially mine) if I split town. SO I lived on a bicycle for like 5 years after that.
    Well, I was in the mountains of northern california whipping down some mountain trail, but with packs on the bike. So I flipped over the side, landed on my shoulder, put it behind me when I crashed. I was kinda freaked, my arm wasnt in the right place.
    So, I put my hand in the crotch of a tree, and slamed myself away.
    When I came to, hours? days? later...uh I dont remember. I guess I must have kept going. That was over 25 years ago, and my clavicle sticks about an inch out of my shoulder. Either a break, or at least a grade 3 AC seperation.
    Uh, fell out of my high boy 4X4 and broke my wrist, that still bothers me in the winter.
    Jeeze, I could go on all night of the stuff I've done to this bod.
    I do feel for you, broken bones arent fun, and being laid up is probably the worst of it.
    You will remember it in ten years, sorry.
  6. Pécheur

Pécheur Account Closed

When I was twelve my friend invited me to a wacky wear house with her half sister and her dad. We attempted a 'butterly' manouvre down a tunner slide where you face back to back link arms and kiss your sorry ass goodbye down the slide. OFC I was the one facing backwards this time and we set off, half way down the slide my friend yanked my arm as she went down the steeper bit and I was still on a less decline. I felt my wrist jam and pop and felt like my arm had been ripped from shoulder. When we got to the bottom I was like jelly, I threw up in the ball pit and screamed for the dear life of me. An assisstant put me in a sling and told me to sit down. My friends, half-sisters dad :s (I know) refused to take me home because he had paid for our tickets to get in. I sat there in shock because I was in so much pain and was really white. After several drinks he then decided to bundle me into his car without putting my seabelt in and moan at me all the way home. My mum sat me on the couch and said because I was being so quiet she'd take me to the hospital. So I get there, arm swollen and shit, the doctor pokes around and pressed where I had broken a bone in my forearm, I just burst into tears all the way to x-ray. came outta hosital couple days later with a pin in my wrist, a broken ulna, scapula and radius and a purple plaster cast to my shoulder in which I had to keep in for 12 weeks. Gooh outcome = a teacher had to do all my writing for me :tongue:

When I had my cast off they pulled out half a ruler which had broken in the course of my attempting to scratch. Didn't say anything though :laugh:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.