Broken Promises

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by ScouseJM, Mar 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScouseJM

ScouseJM Well-Known Member

What is it with people, I know in life there is no guarantee for anything in life but what happened to actually MEANING it when you make a promise? Such as I will never let you go, I will always be there for you, I wiill never ever leave you, I promise you.. Doesnt the word promise mean anything to anyone anymore, am I the only one who still thinks carefully about sayin that to someone, no matter how big or random the promise might be, if I can actually keep it? If you cannot rely on the one you love looking into your eyes and saying I promise you, then what is there left in this world to rely on and believe in? I dont know I guess Im just too dumb and naive for this world.

2. famous.last.words

famous.last.words Forum Buddy

i think some people promise but the choice to keep that promise is taken out of their hands, beyond their control. But im sure they mean it with their hole hearts when they say it.

3. bluefish

bluefish Well-Known Member

My heart sinks as I read your post - we have all been the recipients of broken promises. I never expected for my ex fiance to break all his promises to me, but he did - broke promises, broke dreams, broke my being.

I think the cowards are the people who can't keep their promises to us. Fuck you and your promises - because where are they when I need you the most?

*end vent*

4. ScouseJM

I can totally relate to you.. I fell into depression because of my boyfriend..ex boyfriend sorry.. cant get used to it ever.. well, I think one of the worst thing is.. my head knows u cant ever rely on what anyone promises, my head remembers all the times my whole life I have had all the promises broken.. so why cant my heart learn, where does this naive hope come from that I cant get rid of? I dont just not understand others, I dont understand myself x

5. bluefish

bluefish Well-Known Member

I don't believe its a matter of being naive - I feel it is proof that your heart heals and is ready to open up to love and trust once again. One of my favorite books is from Khalil Gibran, called The Prophet. My favorite chapter is on Joy and Sorrow. Read on:

Then a woman said, "Speak to us of Joy and Sorrow."

And he answered:
    Your joy is your sorrow unmasked.
    And the selfsame well from which your laughter rises was oftentimes filled with your tears.
    And how else can it be?
    The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain.
    Is not the cup that hold your wine the very cup that was burned in the potter's oven?
    And is not the lute that soothes your spirit, the very wood that was hollowed with knives?
    When you are joyous, look deep into your heart and you shall find it is only that which has given you sorrow that is giving you joy.
    When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.

Some of you say, "Joy is greater than sorrow," and others say, "Nay, sorrow is the greater."
    But I say unto you, they are inseparable.
    Together they come, and when one sits alone with you at your board, remember that the other is asleep upon your bed.
    Verily you are suspended like scales between your sorrow and your joy.
    Only when you are empty are you at standstill and balanced.
    When the treasure-keeper lifts you to weigh his gold and his silver, needs must your joy or your sorrow rise or fall.

They are one. Hope is never bad. We must only be more cautious as to whom is deserving of our love and our promises. :hug:

6. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

bluefish, thanks for that excerpt. gonna bookmark it, it's beautiful,
    catherine

7. ScouseJM

cant be any more careful than i was last time, impossible.

8. touglytobeloved

touglytobeloved Well-Known Member

I coldnt understand your post, i was too drunk to read and understand it all. But, when someone promise something, he should stand behind his promise.
    And the word promise means a lot to me.

9. Rosenrot

Rosenrot Forum Buddy

A promise means nothing to me, really. It just means you're saying you'll do something. Doesn't mean you'll do it. ;/

10. ColdSummer

ColdSummer Well-Known Member

It's so sad when people break promises, I have heard them all my life....i'll always love you, be together forever, or just friends saying they'll keep in touch ot whateva. They all meant something, and yet without any thought from the person how made it they can't break it so easy, without thinking of the effect on me. I sooo past trusting people, I think we should stop putting faith in others.

11. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

the one constant in humans is the ability to fail. especially at the things that are most important. i don't promise anything more than a shadowy hug and those words that you hear everyday that mean nothing "time heals all wounds."

12. perry_mason

perry_mason Well-Known Member

you are not the only one, im the same and i hope others are as well.

i think that a promise is a serious thing to make to somebody.

i feel the say way about people saying 'love', it seems like now people just say it like its nothing and in the worst cases use the word just so they can get somebody to have sex with them. im not 100% sure as to what love actually is but i really wouldnt throw the term about like it is something simple and would only use it when i really meant it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.