Brother trying to kill himself

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Borrowed time*, Oct 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Borrowed time*

Borrowed time* Well-Known Member

I dont know what to do.
    I have had a text from my brothers ex asking to check on him as he is threatening to commit suicide. I didnt want to get involved because im going through my own stuff right now but i couldnt ignore it.
    He wanted to talk, i gave him the opportunity and all he could do was cry.
    I dont know how to help him. Can any one give me some advise?

He has a daughter who is here now but all he says is she has her mother.
    I woke my mum up and she has shown her caring side again, she has said leave him, if he wants to leave him to it. WTF!!!
    Im not very good with emotions and i just dont know what to say to him. I cant hug him, i cant talk him out of it, i cant leave him and i cant overpower him. I dont even no whether to call an ambulance as im not sure if he is serious.
    I feel like such a spare tyre at the moment.
    Please help

Edit, just been told he has already attempted today FUCK

2. Withdrawn

Withdrawn Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm so sorry! :hug:
    Is he okay?

3. Borrowed time*

Thanks withdrawn
    Im going to wait up and watch over him, theres nothing else i can do

4. CatherineC

CatherineC Staff Alumni

My brother did this to me too. I had endless phone calls from his ex girlfriend. I had to go over to his house and get him sectioned. Luckily another brother and one of my sisters came with me so I wasn't alone.
    I phoned his GP and they gave the advice on what to do. In fact they were really helpful. He went into a psych unit and I was allowed to visit him after a couple of days. He's never going to be right, too many drug and alcohol problems, but he's still alive.

Has your brother been admitted to hospital? If not, then you need to phone an ambulance for him.
    Let us know whats happening, you need support too. x

5. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

What you can do is get him professional help NOW call crisis line and tell them he is going to kill himself and they will hospitalize him and keep him SAFE okay do it Don't make the same mistake i made with my bro who is now gone call get help call crisis now.

6. Borrowed time*

Im staying up with him letting him talk to me.
    I have taken everything away from him including his car keys.
    Ill call for an ambulance if anything happens

7. CatherineC

CatherineC Staff Alumni

If you can, get him to an A&E department anyway. They'll be able to give him a mild sedative and then send him home with you. It will help.
    Hoping it all goes well. Don't forget that you will need support too.

8. total eclipse

i agree take him to emergency if he will go and get a small sedative for him maybe if get him started on antidepressant tell him it will help okay You are a great sister but don't try to do it all alone okay get some help take care

9. Borrowed time*

I cant force him, hes stronger than me and i dont drive. Hes been drinking so i dont think they can give him anything. Hes sleeping at the minute but he told me tomorrow will be his last day.
    I just feel so guilty, i cant help him. I dont know what to say to him.
    I told him to go to the doctors, all the advise i have been given but he wont listen to me.
    I ave told him i will call for help if i have to but no one here cares. Im the only one still awake still. Everyone else is asleep.
    Hes also blaming himself for all my problems, i dont no how to reasure him because i dont want to talk about it

10. CatherineC

CatherineC Staff Alumni

Okay if it's impractical for you to go to the Emergency dept then you're going to have to take different action.
    Phone them instead. Do you have the number of your local A&E? Can you look it up? Phone them and tell them what's happening. Ask for their advice. If you can, get them to put you onto the duty pschiatric nurse (We have them in the UK but I don't know where you are.) If not, ask to speak to a doctor. See what they've got to say.

11. total eclipse

maybe it would be a good time to just call crisis now and talk to them and get some support to what to do okay tell them what is happening they will guide you through You can't do this all alone get some help now while he is asleep you can talk freely to crisis line.

12. Borrowed time*

Thank you for everyones help
    It he is still sleeping, I couldn't call crisis line He would be really angry if I forced him to do something however I did tell him I would call for an ambulance if he continues. He told me yesterday he wanted to smash up the house and was fighting it, so I'm a bit scared of his temper.

13. CatherineC

CatherineC Staff Alumni

How's it going today?

14. Borrowed time*

He's ok for now thank you
    He's sleeping off the affects of all the alcohol he drank, I'm at work but mum is with him.

15. CatherineC

CatherineC Staff Alumni

I'm glad. Any chance of getting him to talk to someone? If not, then make sure that you do. Don't go through this alone.

16. Borrowed time*

Yes I think I will have to call for help tonight, he's told a friend hes still going to do it. I'm going to see if I can leave work early

17. kote

kote Account Closed

good luck i will be wishing my best for you both!!!

18. CatherineC

CatherineC Staff Alumni

Are you in the UK? If so, you're entitled to unpaid special leave from work when there is a family emergency of this magnitude. That's the law and work can do nothing about it.
    Phone for help before you speak to your brother. You need to have a plan of action and all the options which are available so that you can use pursuasion to get him to seek help.
    Stay strong!

19. Borrowed time*

Hi and thank you every one for the replies and advise
    Yes im in the UK
    He seems to be ok now, hes still upset over the break up but he is no longer talking of suicide. I know that doesnt mean anything because been there done that but hes gone to see his daughters mum. I have the number for the doctor and will call if i have to but there is only so much i can do. Im just really angry that out ofeveryone in this house i am the only one worried and trying to help. Im starting to think i over reacted and shouldnt of bothered.
    Im not heartless though so i will wait for him to come home, i will try to talk to him again and i will pull an all nighter again making sure he doesnt hurt himself.

20. CatherineC

CatherineC Staff Alumni

Firstly, you didn't over react and you definitely should have bothered. You're a wonderful sister.
    Secondly, you need to make sure that you have adequate support. If you're pulling all nighters and then going to work, you'll make yourself ill. Can you take a couple of days off?
    You need to talk to a professional, call a crisis line and get some support.
    Sending loads of positive vibes :) x

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.