Brotherly Hate, or, Similarities to Those Whom You Despise

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by aoeu, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

My brother has [allegedly - not sure whether I believe him, though it's starting to sound more reasonable as I'm getting worse] been suffering from depression for about 2 and a half years now, and he's failed out of university and has been unemployed the whole time.

There would be very little worse than to become like him... But I'm going to. I can't cope with school this semester. I'm going to fail out. That's a pretty big fall - my worst semester was an 88% GPA. Then what? I have no idea.

I wonder if I get evicted if I drop my courses this semester.

2. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

Is there some way to talk with your professors and get an extension? Are you taking too heavy a class load? Maybe all isn't lost. Try and salvage what you can. The grades may not be where you want them, but you don't have to fail. there is still time left. :hug:

3. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Hehehe... Absolutely no extensions. Engineering faculties are very much mass education, and there's no room for haggling.

And, no, I'm taking an abnormally light course load. I think I'd be doing better with more, since as it is I've got a lot of free time to go depressive, and that's the biggest drain on my productive time.

I will try and salvage what I can, but today I'm not feeling particularly hopeful. I had a fight... no, a fight wouldn't cover it. The only person who's ever made me happy hates me. I think she's been the cause of, and solution to, my depression, depending on how things have been going. I'm beginning to wonder if there is no causal relationship between my antidepressants and my depression at all. I don't think she's going to save me this time.

I'm pretty sure I would get evicted, and then my access to psychological services would cease as well, and I'd have even more free time to go depressive... That would be a baaad situation.

I'm still trying to figure out what's going on, though. I'm not going to finish my engineering degree in time, since I got screwed on transfer credit - I don't know if I'm going to finish my degree at all... I want to transfer out of here to a prosthetics program instead of engineering... Speaking of which, I've been too drained to learn biology as well. I need a big pile of career advice in addition to everything else...

Edit: Oh yeah, another thing. I'm getting frighteningly close to going through with it. I'm 11 floors up, and I've got a balcony. I've been scared some days.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2008
  4. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

Have you done any jobshadowing to see if you might like the areas you are interested in as a career? And don't worry about finishing your degree "on time" Many people don't finish in the time they say it takes. Everything has to work in perfect order for that to happen. It took a friend of mine 10 years to complete a 4 year degree because of varyinf circumstances. You said you have too much extra time to be depressive. Maybe spend some of that extra time to concentrate more on your work and pulling the grades up. Yeah, I kniow, it can be really boring, but in the long run it will be worth it.

5. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I have, I'm definitely sold on prosthetics or orthotics [the decision between the two doesn't have to be made for a few years] - I don't know the value of an engineering degree in the field, though.

I know I should be using the extra time to do the homework, but I don't ever have the energy... Unless, of course, Sarah is in my life -not- hating me, but I think that ship has sailed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.