Bruise Reduction?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Mirikun, Apr 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mirikun

Mirikun Well-Known Member

Hi everyone!

When I'm trying to prevent cutting I often find myself slamming myself into the wall or hitting myself instead, which results in some quite nasty bruises. (Haha, great alternative... -__-)

Any tips on minimising bruising?

2. Stripe

Stripe Well-Known Member

You can try putting an ice pack on an area you recently hit as that can reduce swelling but in my experiance if I hit myself against something I generally do it so hard Im gonna have a bruise, whatever I do afterwards.

The only other way to avoid bruising is to hit boney areas like knees, jaw or knuckles. This way you only end up with a bruised bone which hurts like a bugger but generally does not swell or show up too much. Hitting these areas can do quite a lot of damage to the bones tho. When I was 14 I decided to punch the hell out of my bedroom wall. Since the wall was made with bricks it was a fight I lost and I now have an odd shaped knuckle. :dry:

Wish I could give you a way to stop hitting things but Im still trying to find a way to do that myself.
  3. Nebula

Nebula Member

Just wear bruises with pride like I do. I don't bruise easily, so I find fulfillment in the effort it takes to cause them.
  4. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

The ice pack is a good idea. Technically, gently massaging the area soon after you've hit it should minimise bruising, but I'm basing that on my knowledge of human biology, not on experience or anything, so it may well not help at all. Worth a try though.

5. Mirikun

Thanks for the replies, everyone! <3 I'll try that.

As for wearing bruises with pride... I guess I kind of like it when I manage to bruise myself properly, BUT I can't let people see.. > <
  6. Nebula

Nebula Member

I always cause bruises (or cut) on areas commonly covered by clothing to avoid folks seeing.
  7. Mirikun

Me too, but now with summer and beachwear coming it's getting difficult. s:
  8. spiritxfade

spiritxfade Well-Known Member

Mim's right- massaging the bruise does help (at least that's what my doctor mother says xD)

You can't really be super gentle though :/ It kind of intensifies the pain a little, but it does seem to help whenever I do it (I get a lot of bruises from martial arts)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.