Buddhism helped me

Winslow

My Toughest Problem Has Been Solved.
SF Supporter
So very often I hear people complaining and whining that their job is monotonous and boring drudgery because of its repetition, its repetitiveness.
But by my practicing Buddhist meditation I find the repetitiveness becomes meaningful. After all if you go to a Buddhist monastery you find that their daily life is constantly repetitive. Yet they find it meaningful because each day of meditation is one more day of progress toward eventual enlightenment. Yet you yourself need not be a monk--instead you can practice meditation in your regular secular life and gain the same benefits. What it does is develop purpose and meaning in life. In that way your job's drudgery disappears because of purpose and meaningfulness.

Waves

So very often I hear people complaining and whining that their job is monotonous and boring drudgery because of its repetition, its repetitiveness.
But by my practicing Buddhist meditation I find the repetitiveness becomes meaningful. After all if you go to a Buddhist monastery you find that their daily life is constantly repetitive. Yet they find it meaningful because each day of meditation is one more day of progress toward eventual enlightenment. Yet you yourself need not be a monk--instead you can practice meditation in your regular secular life and gain the same benefits. What it does is develop purpose and meaning in life. In that way your job's drudgery disappears because of purpose and meaningfulness.
Interesting

Lady Wolfshead

wishes you well
Buddhist thought helped me with my job as well. Ekhart Tolle's work is influenced by Buddhism and his second book A New Earth: Finding Your Life's Purpose was amazing for me. I thought it was going to be more airy-fairy stuff about finding your ideal career, but what he says is that your purpose is whatever you are doing in this moment. So I took that attitude with each call at work. "My purpose is to help this person"

Waves

Buddhist thought helped me with my job as well. Ekhart Tolle's work is influenced by Buddhism and his second book A New Earth: Finding Your Life's Purpose was amazing for me. I thought it was going to be more airy-fairy stuff about finding your ideal career, but what he says is that your purpose is whatever you are doing in this moment. So I took that attitude with each call at work. "My purpose is to help this person"
So Buddhism taught you to look at your stressful job in a different way?

cymbele

SF Supporter
Doing karate and tai chi have taught me several different things that are related here. One major thing is focus from meditation. Being present in mind and all that. And doing forms and techniques over and over and over to achieve perfection which is almost un-attainable but worthy of a goal. And things that don't seem important are steps to the overall goal of mastery.

Not really related to Buddhism but similar in concept. Esp the meditation part. About the time I was doing karate (20 years ago) I also came to the realization that we work to live, not the other way around. So I work to do tai chi which in my dojo more like karate without the pushups. :)

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00