Buddhism Preventing Suicide

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Winslow, Jul 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winslow

Winslow Antiquitie's Friend SF Supporter

The reason I introduce Buddhism instead of Christianity is because I notice that every time that Christianity is mentioned to a suicidal person, it only makes the person's agitation get worse, sometimes even to the point of rage. The way I figure it, why the mention of God infuriates suicidal people so much is because they feel that why is it that God being All-powerful can allow all this suffering and misery. Hell, God is even helpless to save the lives of billions of newborn babies.

That's why I feel that for suicidal people that Buddhism would be more acceptable and helpful -- because at its core, Buddhism does not believe in any God at all. A Buddhist priest would say, why even think about something which is unknown and unprovable. To him, it's Unimportant. But what is important is how you manage your emotions and to treat each other with compassion. Every human needs some form of discipline. And ultimately, that discipline does not come from an external source but instead from yourself.

So if you don't want to believe in any God, then don't. But at least believe in yourself. That is what Buddhism teaches.

2. cashing_out

cashing_out Well-Known Member

I have always considered myself to be agnostic. I lost my faith decadeds ago. I got into Taoism about 13 years ago when I hit rock bottom and needed somthing to get me back on my feet. I read the book called "The Tao of Pooh" it shed some light on things and the next thing you know, I wrote my own book on Taoism. It really helped. I have since expanded my mind and have began to read other types of books. Even the Bible. Right now I am reading a book called 'Mere Christianity". WOW, what a book. I still consider myself a Taoist now. I use many tools to get me through each and every day. Sometimes when one tool doesnt work, I need to find another. But I agree with your post. You have to believe in yourself, love yourself and trust yourself. Easier said than done, I know, thats why I belong to this site.

3. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

or how about just letting the person having their own beliefs? Believe in yourself yes that is the most important thing anyone can do, but you do not anything other then the belief in your mind, that you are worth something, forget everything else that is going on in the world other people and their problems, and remember that you too are worth something.

Expecting a religion to save you will not save you, that is putting yourself on a pedestal and you are only bound to fall of it, believing in yourself and those who can help and support you that is much more worthy cause, believe the positive things people say about you and forget the negative things people say. Believe that even if you are not religious or you are, that you do have a place in this world and life and you have to give yourself a chance to be happy and find that, even it takes 20 or 30 years.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2010
  4. plates

plates Well-Known Member

My last therapist was into Buddhism I think. It ended up getting me really angry- she was all about control/discipline and that's all fine, but can not address real issues going on for people- and she didn't want to do that with me.

I don't mention God to anyone who's suicidal, I've had the "I'm gonna pray for you" thing and it's nearly sent me over the edge in the past- and having a Buddhist say "control yourself!" when I'm really on edge, does the same thing. :dunno:

It's good it works for you, but evangelising especially when people have different beliefs can cause more harm than good. Why not try and listen to what they are saying, and encourage them to talk however difficult it is? People who want to die can have really low self worth, and not believe in themselves- and that can be a strong belief.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

I'm not sure Buddhism does teach you to believe in yourself, some Buddhists would deny there even is a self - but there are many different branches, I like reading what the Dalai Lama has to say, and I'm interested in Zen, yet they do contradict each other.

I think it can help. For example, when it comes to self worth I used to think thoughts such as "I'm a useless person" now I try to think "I'm a person who thinks I'm useless" and it's a big difference because then the problem isn't with me, I'm just a person like any other, the problem is with the thoughts I have. (I like to think that my mind is like the sky, and all my thoughts / beliefs / emotions are like clouds. They can be dark and menacing or light and fluffy, they get blown around, but the sky/mind/self is more important than all that)

Now you may disagree with me, and I think that's a good thing about Buddhism, you don't just accept it all you pick what is useful. It's like a toolbox, you select a hammer or a screwdriver depending upon what you need. To me a lot of religions are like walking around with a hammer, telling everyone how great it is, they should get a hammer too! But basically it's just useful when you need it.

6. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

There is suffering in this world because there is rebellion to Yahweh's ways. We suffer by the abuse of free will on either our part or others. In every situation this can be proven. I g/g its almost Sabbath but I will continue this convo, or answer questions after Sabbath. Blessings..

7. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

could not have worded it better, this is not the place to tell people to worship someone better :hug: for you plates, you are awesome :D

8. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

I like the Budhism philosophy, because it encourages people to meditate and search for the God that resides in all of us. Having faith in God within us is the same as having faith in ourselves, which a suicidal person must have in order to overcome the depression and suicidal thoughts.

9. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

Which is why Buddhist monks light themselves on fire and burn to death voluntarily as a method of protest? Won't post any links, but google "Self-immolation - buddhism", etc., and you'll get quite an eyeful if you do an image search.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

A quote from the Dalai Lama...

Religion, philosophy, common sense or bullshit? It's what you make it.

11. Winslow

Winslow Antiquitie's Friend SF Supporter

Thank you, Dave, those are my points exactly. Ultimately,the decision rests with ourselves individually, and this is what Buddhism teaches. Contrary to what opponents think, Buddhism does not force its belief. Instead it teaches you to do what works for you. Because when a well-known Christian asked the Dalai Lama what is the best religion, the DL's answer surprised the Christian, because the Christian had expected the Dalai Lama to answer that the best religion is Tibetan Buddhism. But instead the Dalai Lama said that the best religion is the one which works for you, the one which teaches you to be good to yourself and others.

12. ema

ema Antiquities Friend

Having come from a background where discipline was forced and led to abuse, I find that goal distressing. I've had to be so disciplined that I'm not allowed emotions. So, this choice can be as triggering for some people as Christianity for others.

I'm not Christian, either, because of the same abusive person. And, also, the thought that somebody died for me is horrifying to me. I don't want that!

I do believe in God. But, not the God that people generally think of. The God we've been led to is a Greek, omni-everything one. But, the God of the Hebrew scriptures is one that is far more earthy and real. He makes mistakes, he is not always present, he does not always do what we want or think is right, he can be an ass, and he can hurt right along with us. We're made in his image, which means to me, his image isn't all that perfect, either.

When my Merlin died, I had the biggest, warmest tears flow out of my eyes and somehow, I knew they were God's tears. God cried with me. He knew my pain and he shared it. That to me was the moment I knew God loved me and that I would always love back.

I don't peddle my God, I don't push him. He's what he is and I won't force him on people who aren't ready or able to have him. He's there and I talk to him all the time. I yell at him all the time, too. But, he is what he is. And, not everybody gets that.

I hope this makes some sense.

13. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

That's awesome ema that you have such an intimate relationship with God. It makes perfect sense to me. :hug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.