Buddhists/ism

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Shock, Jan 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shock

Shock Well-Known Member

Today I finally decided to go to a Buddhist meditation center for beginners. But all the chants and readings from the book they gave each of us where about how great not one Buddha but several, including Guru's, where, and how lowly everyone else was. I was very disappointed. Seems no better and egotistical then Christianity. See, I'd always assumed Buddhism was a very valid yet unbiased philosophy rather then an opportunistic cult-like belief. It may be silly to assume a wise man may want to share his valid Opinions and reasonings without building himself a soap-box-like dias to preach wrong and right. I feel very disillusioned but feel it is kinda my duty to type this up.

But hey, if you believe Ive just come across a strange power hungry sect or whatever then you have every right to contradict me and prove me wrong in this general sense. In fact I encourage it, for in my philosophy to prove to err and be human is to prove ones self as a conscious particle of this infinite wonder we call the universe. lol.

2. LostMyMind

LostMyMind Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience. I rather like buddhism and feel it's more about being equal than most other beliefs since the Buddha didn't ever claim to be a God.

3. MrDepressed

MrDepressed Guest

This would be the reason why I believen tolerance for most belief systems and not judging a belief by its practitioners but rather by the core values of the system itself.

4. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

Buddhism has taken on many, many different flavors. Some have historically been quite nasty, as with Tibetan Buddhism. I don't think I can say it better than Bertrand Russell did:

In any event, I have two very large problems with Buddhism. First, as is hinted above, is the absolute submission required by the acolyte to the teacher, englightened one, whatever you wish to call him. And as best I can tell this requirement of submission is universal to all schools of Buddhism: Thervadran, Mahayana, Zen, whatever the minor schools are. Not that we shouldn't admit that there are others out there who are smarter, wiser, kinder, etc., than we are, but that is still no reason to disconnect your brain and swallow whatever it is some great leader is saying uncritically.

Second, the modern shell game believers engage in when they make the claim that Buddhism is not a religion. Utter rubbish. Buddhism is a religion by any definition you'd care to make: you've got souls, some kind of wheel of life, and a requirement for "enlightenment" demanding the uncritical submission to a religious leader. To say nothing of the wacky post-Buddha syncreticism that has various Buddhist sects adding demons, angels, legends of monks with super-powers, and on and on. Yep, its a religion. (To the credit of Buddhists prior to the twentieth century, as best I can tell this claim of Buddhism not being a religion was never made. It probably started with the "Beat Generation" of the 1950s, who made Buddhism as much a fashion statement as playing bongos and wearing black turtlenecks.)

In sum, your experience doesn't surprise me at all. :smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.