Bug spray?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by ~CazzaAngel~, Sep 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ~CazzaAngel~

    ~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

    Does anyone know anything about what people spray in apartments for bugs? Apparently the owner of this building will be spraying my apt and cabinets for bugs (I don't have any, but apparently one or two apts in this building do.)

    I was left this note (as was everyone): "On Monday Sept. 13th, the owners will be spraying for bugs. Please remove everything from your cabinets. To keep the bug problem under control, we need all tenants to make sure you do not leave trash in your apts or on the balconies. Also, regular cleaning around refrigerators and stoves help a great deal."

    Is the spray dangerous? I don't really want to put my food and dishes back in something that has poison in them, if it'll make me ill.
     
  2. total eclipse

    total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

    make sure everything is bagged well and cover okay out of you cupboards once spraying is done then it is okay put things back i would ask you apartment owner what is to be done afterwards if wiping out cupboards is necessary better safe then sorry.
     
  3. Madam Mim

    Madam Mim Well-Known Member

    I spray my house once a year with an insecticide. It is poisonous to pets and humans, but only while the spray is in the air, so I spray a room and shut the door and then it's perfectly safe to go back in within the hour. So I wouldn't worry, but definitely take all your stuff out of the cupboards as you don't want the stuff to settle on your plates or food packets. But it'll be safe to put your stuff back in the cupboards after a few hours, I'm sure.

    If you have fish, make sure the tank is 100% covered and air tight while they're spraying and for a while after, but it shouldn't affect any plants or anything. Obviously, if you have any other pets, I'd remove them from the apartment for the day.

    Hope this helps.

    Mim
     
  4. NotThisLife

    NotThisLife Well-Known Member

    I may be too late in my response, but here goes. Yes, it can be toxic. I lived in an apartment for years that did spraying at yearly intervals. My mom always made sure all of our dishes were covered, along with toothbrushes and anything else that might come into contact with the something consumable. I'd put my dishes in a plastic bag and tuck them under the kitchen table. If you are out the day they spray the cabinets will likely be safe to put the dishes back in when you get back, provided you were gone a few hours. Basically, just do the same as if you were spraying the whole place with Raid Insect Killer.

    Also, very important: if you have small pets (fish, hamster, especially birds) get them out. The spray can kill them. Birds especially are vulnerable to toxic fumes, I lost a bird (a white dove) to Clorox Bleach fumes. Very sad
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.