• Apologies for the issue with a bizarre redirect on the site earlier today. There was a large server update and an error in an IP address had the traffic routing wrongly. No hacking or anything nefarious and nothing to worry about. Sorry for any stress/anxiety caused. Very best wishes - SF Admin

Building dwellings above ground is imbecilic

Status
Not open for further replies.
The power outages just highlight this to a great degree.

IF all these dwelling were earth-bermed, they wouldn't be NEEDING heating.
(or cooling either)
https://www.intelligentliving.co/bermed-homes/

Why do MOST people not know this?

Heck, if you HAVE to live above ground, thick adobe brick homes would get
the same effect, with NO need to heat or cool them.

Are MOST people REALLY this dumb?

Btw, you can snow-berm a vehicle and NOT freeze to death. Even if you're
stuck in the woods, you could make a simple snow-bermed shelter and not
freeze.

Another example is NOT putting some type of canopy over your dwelling
during the summer, so you're essentially letting the roof act as a heat sink
to which you end up paying lots of money to cool it.*wacko

IF most people did, we'd save BILLION$ in cooling costs.

I guess all that corporate funded education is paying off BIG TIME!
(and water fluoridation too)
http://fluoridealert.org/news/water-fluoridation-linked-to-diabetes-and-low-iq/

P.S. Sorry if I'm posting too much in this sub-forum, just feel like
ranting I guess.

I'd love to have a bimini top over the motorhome I'm living in,
but apparently, like having a canopy over your dwelling, it just
isn't done. (inexplicable!)

I'm tempted to buy a huge sunbrella and use that.

But hey, what do I know.

Dante

In the SF doghouse with Burt
SF Pro
SF Supporter
The power outages just highlight this to a great degree.

IF all these dwelling were earth-bermed, they wouldn't be NEEDING heating.
(or cooling either)
https://www.intelligentliving.co/bermed-homes/

Why do MOST people not know this?
Building below ground requires excavation, then the sides of the dug out area would need to be reinforced so they wont collapse back in, there is also the issue of waterproofing, if the building is only 2 stories deep then you will have serious issues with ground water, the tiniest crack in the structure and you will have horrible damp and maybe even occasional flooding depending on the height of the ground water. (My dad is a civil engineer and LOVES to talk about his work), it would make any construction MUCH more expensive and harder to maintain. We build above ground for the view and because it is cheaper.

Heck, if you HAVE to live above ground, thick adobe brick homes would get
the same effect, with NO need to heat or cool them.

Are MOST people REALLY this dumb?
Adobe Brick has a compressive strength of anywhere from 0.6MPa to 2MPa, whereas standard clay-fired brick has a compressive strength of more like 14MPa, I have seen first hand what happens if you use a construction material for anything but a bungalow which doesnt have sufficient compressive strength, the whole wall starts to crack and is DEFINITELY not safe, kick out 3 or 4 bricks and you can take out the side of a house like that. To support a 2 story house with loft conversion you would need some SERIOUS steel construction built into the walls as a load-bearing structure to take the pressure off the bricks.

Btw, you can snow-berm a vehicle and NOT freeze to death. Even if you're
stuck in the woods, you could make a simple snow-bermed shelter and not
freeze.
THAT is actually pretty interesting and should have been obvious considering Igloos exist as a thing... but I suppose they just start with "Snow=Cold" and then they stop thinking.

Another example is NOT putting some type of canopy over your dwelling
during the summer, so you're essentially letting the roof act as a heat sink
to which you end up paying lots of money to cool it.*wacko

IF most people did, we'd save BILLION$ in cooling costs.
This one comes down to laziness and aesthetics. A separate canopy wouldn't look great, and can you honestly see people putting up said canopy every year during summer when my own dad who is always fixing or improving something still decided it was just easier to leave the christmas lights up all year and only turn them on for the festive season? People would end up paying workers to do it for them if they did it at all, thats a very visible cost, the cooling is a less visible cost so easier to ignore. Out of sight out of mind.

Im not so much arguing that its right in this one, but more that you would never get people to do it :P

I guess all that corporate funded education is paying off BIG TIME!
(and water fluoridation too)
http://fluoridealert.org/news/water-fluoridation-linked-to-diabetes-and-low-iq/
Lol, I'm not researching that one, it looks like its gonna be a whole load of corroboration and hard work, but I just have to point out that its also a major component in toothpaste... and some suppliments... and is found in tea, gelatine, coffee, and some beer in concentrations well above what they put in the water...

P.S. Sorry if I'm posting too much in this sub-forum, just feel like
ranting I guess.
Im sorry for being THAT guy and coming to poke holes in it, but I just couldn't resist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$180.00
Goal
$255.00