Bullied at work

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Marathon-Running-Bunny, Nov 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I don't know what to do except crying now. I don't have emotional support from my family at all as I am not close to them. I was being bullied at work. 10 colleagues bullying me by asking me do things and they themselves were having fun chit chatting and laughing so loud. I didn't join in their conversation due to their topics were always on smoking, alcohol and betting. I need help when working and they all don't know go where, when they need help I try my best help them. When they don't want to do certain tasks, they made me do it. I am a slow leaner and am still new to my job but they as seniors keep on bullying me and teasing me. I know they want me to be out from the job until they started writing their Christmas wishes all over the place hoping I get terminated one day. I was so upset just now, until I was suddenly plagued by my suicide thoughts again. Since they hated me so much to the max and my family also keep stressing me out for money everyday, I am severely stressed out and I am now sitting on my bed typing this out and sobbing badly till my shirt is soaked with tears. I am looking at my window and was plagued with suicide thoughts.

2. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

Have you sat down with your supervisor/manager/boss to discuss what is going on, or have you gone to your human resources department about it?

3. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

As soon as you can, get your CV out there and start looking for a less stressful job.
    We spend 8 hours a day at work and there is nothing worse than being miserable for the better part of the day.

Sending a huge :hug: cos been there and worn the T-shirt

4. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

Yes, M-A - abuse must always be reported..... you are better off without this job, and your family must see the reasons in this. There must be a supervisor/HR person you can report this all to - try not to keep it bottled up inside you either to the managemnt of your organisation or your family.

5. Thanks everyone for your replies. I have informed my area supervisor about it and she say we will talk about it when she is here at the store. I hoped she understand how I feel. But I don't know whether things will turn out worse because she might listen to what my seniors say as she is part of the smoking ring too.

6. youRprecious!

Well, if your supervisor turns out to be on "their" side, and against you just because you are a non-smoker (is that right?) - then take it higher....... your supervisor must be accountable to someone else who is not prejudiced like that, and if your only alternative is to leave, you are within your rights to ask for a good reference that maximises your chances of finding new work - which acknowledges the legitimacy of your complaint - don't let them push you out completely on their terms - this is called workplace discrimination and they can be liable for unfair dismissal.

7. kote

kote Account Closed

its work which made me sick and made me have a breakdown.
    from something which was small the people in charge wouldnt accept the right way.
    so i took it higher and higher and sought out support.
    even out side agencies who invesigated it - my workplace wouldnt co operate.
    in the end they said because i was a foreigner the system wasnt built for me and i had no rights.
    i was fighting for basic contractual rights. i got screwed over by everyone.
    it sent me into a downward suicidal spiral - what i wish now is that i smashed the place to pieces and the people with it.
    i was so angry but kept it in and it burnt me out.
    but the best thing i could have done is just turned my back say fuck you and leave when it was most difficult for them.
    i did end up causing a lot of problems because i was right but they started the fight and i was sticking to my contract.

anyway long story short - i was suicidal and sick for 6 years and tried working many times again but the passion had gone and panic attacks set in with flash backs. so even when i started again it never lasted long - now this is about 6-7 times ive started work and had to stop.

now i guarantee those people dont even remember me where as i get flashbacks and panic attacks regularly. im only just picking myself up. i think you will understand the method. just through little sporting goals. each step is a step forward. as a runner turn to that. hold out as long as you can at work but find another workplace if possible. but focus on your running as i do with kendo. its a possitive which you have complete control over.

im wishing you the best as ive been there and i still have the scars.

PM me anytime!!! sometimes the system just sucks!!!

8. youRprecious!

That is a wonderful story to hear neanderthal, am sorry that it happened like that for you (the stuff that started it) - but yours is a story of eventual overcoming of the pain and the trauma, thank you for writing about it here to support M-A :)

9. kote

kote Account Closed

i just wish i could do more to help. ive seen bullying in the workplace in my area of employment. lots of exploitation.
    ive always stood up for the weaker ones as i have solid foundations and also know how to fight the system.
    but the best solution is to walk away from a fight as bullies dont change especially group mentalities. they are horrid.
    im a fighter and will stand toe to toe against any number of people but in that ive learnt it really gets you nowhere.
    you are like bait for them to play around with. its a sad and sorry world that these people group together because they are too weak alone.
    any outsiders are easy prey - its horrid!!! ive seen it over and over again in many situations.
    hold it together - be strong - know you are right - know that that environment is wrong - then walk away poudly having your morals still intact.
    i cant say it will be easy but find and secure a new job so you are not out of pocket and then go. dont even mention it to these bullies. they will be thinking huh??? what just happend??? we have to find something else to bitch about. its group mentality and its horrid!!!
    keep on running and be proud of your talent!!!

10. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

marathon-addict, I was also bullied at work. It is such a nasty experience. Sometimes the best thing to do is what Terry suggests: get your CV/Resume done and start looking for a less stressful place to work.

In the meantime, just remember that they are the ones who are wrong. Any work you get done there "in spite of them" shows just how good you are, both as person and as an employee. Come here and talk to us for support until things are better. Let us remind you that they are undermining you and your value. You deserve better from life and the people you work with.

Bullies are often insecure, less skilled, less likeable, less intelligent people than those they bully. Try not to let them get the better of you. Know that you have friends here. PM me any time about this. I'm happy to listen and to remind you that you are a great person!

11. Raphael1

Raphael1 Well-Known Member

Make sure you keep stress low as you can, and if you don't like working there. Try see if you can come across something different to plan another way, another area or accupation. somewhere that you feel more at home, with different people around you perhaps. It sounds like you need a more fitting work environment.

Also congrats on your marathon running. Don't give that up. It's fantastic.

12. I told my area supervisor about them bullying me and she talked to all the staffs one by one in private. One or two of them were nicer to me all of a sudden.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.