Bumble Bees In U.S. Suffer Sharp Decline, Joining Countless Other Species Disappearin

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Bob26003, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob26003

Bob26003 Well-Known Member

\Bumble Bees In U.S. Suffer Sharp Decline, Joining Countless Other Species Disappearing Worldwide

North American bees are disappearing at a rapid rate, signaling a dire threat to the production of countless food sources. The Guardian reports that four common species of U.S. bumble bees have declined 96 percent in recent decades, and scientists allege that disease and inbreeding are responsible.

Honey bees have long been known to be in decline, suffering from the enigmatic colony collapse disorder, and the latest research on U.S. bumble bees only exacerbates concerns over future food production, as bees are responsible for pollinating 90 percent of the world's commercial plants, from fruits and vegetables to coffee and cotton.

While a correlation between the Nosema bombi fungus infection and the declining bumble bee populations was discovered, the culprit isn't clearly defined. One of the study's researchers told LiveScience that the data doesn't necessarily verify that the disease is driving the decline, and other factors -- like reduced adaptability to environmental changes as a result of inbreeding -- are likely at play.

The bees join other pollinating insects that have been suffering increasing declines since the end of the 20th century, including moths and hoverflies, and the U.S. findings mirror similar studies examining bee declines around the world, with everything from increasing city development to pesticide use suggested as contributing causes.

Unfortunately, insects aren't the only creatures suffering drastic losses to their populations. Tigers could be extinct in 12 years if efforts to protect their habitats and prevent poaching aren't increased. A recent study across three continents showed snakes to be in rapid decline due to climate change. Overfishing and changing weather patterns have left 12 of the world's 17 species of penguins experiencing steep losses in numbers. A recent World Wildlife Fund report found that all animals in the tropics have declined by 60 percent since 1970, with everything from gorillas to fish thinning out.

While the alarming drop in U.S. bumble bee populations is the latest news suggesting disastrous consequences from unpredictable climate change and environmental degradation, it is only a small portion of the bigger picture. Countless species are dying out at increasing rates, and the unforeseen effects from such losses could likely be devastating to the environment.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/03/bumble-bee-decline_n_803896.html

2. Young suicider

Young suicider Well-Known Member

Re: Bumble Bees In U.S. Suffer Sharp Decline, Joining Countless Other Species Disappe

Noooooo!!!!They are my favorite insect!!!!!!!!!

I don't know why people always bring up the pollination for commercial foods because I'm pretty sure humans can already do that/or with today's tech. can be done easily.

Wild plants on the other hand...

If the bees die it will set off a crazy chain reaction which could even kill humans down that long line.

I mean bee-plant-insect-bird-mongoose-fox-etc-etc.-etc x a lot-Humans-no world

F pollution! Help the bees.I never kill honey bees.If someone starts flipping their lid because they are allergic to one I say,"Run along!Or get you eppy pen out cause I'm not killing it."

3. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Re: Bumble Bees In U.S. Suffer Sharp Decline, Joining Countless Other Species Disappe

Old news. The bumblebees started dying years ago. Now we've got birds falling out of the sky and fish floating up in rivers. Didn't Einstein say something about life on Earth coming to an end when the bees start dying? Yes. Yes, he did.

4. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I've collected the wood I need to build a bee hive. I'll be putting it together this coming spring. It'll go out in the middle out our 140' long lot. I'm going to put signs up "beware of guard bees", my little two cents worth of giving them a safe habitat.

5. 1112222

1112222 Well-Known Member

Their in decline????..... because every time I go outside to hang out the washing I get attacked by 4 or 5 of those nasty fuckers.

6. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

Yes, Bee colonies the world over are suffering something known as colony collapse syndrome. As the article says, years after this was discovered a cause hasn't been found and it does have some major economic and agricultural implications.
    I remember my grandfather mentioning this to me at least five years ago and him being convinced a parasite causes it and there is some corroboration but not enough for a definite cause.
    Its at the stage where the Australians are selling healthy hives as the syndrome doesn't exist or at least not last time I checked over their.

As for it (and certain other animal population decline) being caused by global warming... I find the suggestion very tenuous at best.

7. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

i actively encourage people to keep their own bees. As it is im still learning from a couple of old bee keepers and i have a hive already (minus the bees atm) and come feb-march im buying a starter kit of one queen and a few thousand drones (yes they actually get sent by mail!)

Bees are good to keep and you can easily be getting upwards of 8lb of honey for absolutely free. Plus they dont sting very often and with modern protective clothing you will rarely if ever get stung. Go for it people.

8. Romancer

Romancer Well-Known Member

Albert Einstein once said: “If the bee disappears from the surface of the earth, man would have no more than four years to live."

anyway, i'm sure you're all familiar with the whole Wikileaks thing and saw this article.

9. pit

pit Well-Known Member

I'm hoping there's a rich CEO kill-off. That would benefit everybody.

:sax

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.