burning / lashes

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by thedudeabides, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thedudeabides

thedudeabides Active Member

i dont know why i like to hurt myself, i dont get pleasure from pain. I dont know enough about my feelings in this area to give a good explanation of why but from my observations i know that i like the aftermath "scars, markings" because it is physical proof and acknowledgment of the pain i have. and it also helps me feel less guilty about feeling like a terrible person because i sort of punish myself that way.

well i thought it might clear up some confusion if i give a bit of background, ive cut before and i didnt like it until i realized i could scar myself. now im interested in trying burning with or without applying lighter fluid or using red hot coal. And i want to try something like a leather whip, i cant say exactly where but i know there is a country in asia that practices a religious action where they cut their backs and whip themselves on the back with wooden rods. ive wanted to try that too.

anyways i was just curious about peoples opinions on this, i guess its pro life if someone can suggest an alternative that is less dangerous? thanks to any replies.

Also it takes me a while to work up the nerve to come to this website so sorry if replies are very slow
  2. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Well, most SHs seem to want to avoid scars. Frankly, I don't know what I was thinking all those years ago when I used to cut (and occasionally burn) myself but now I kind of wish I hadn't. Just remember if you do, the scars will stick around whether you want them or not. Twenty years ago, I thought it was kind of fun. Now, I kind of feel embarrassed anytime I have to get naked for something.
  3. abyss

abyss Well-Known Member

i understand your outlook on the scars. i went through a period where i hated them and regretted them. then i stopped caring what other people thought and they just became an external display of the scars i wear on the inside.

may i suggest a different method of skin expression. tattoos. they can be beautiful, grotesque, meaningful, anything you want them to be. they hurt a little, but not in the same way. its socially (mostly) acceptable. its a clearer message to those who see them, can even be a good conversation starter. i picked tattoos that reflected something meaningful about me, that way their value for me stayed steady.

just a thought
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.