burqa ban...

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by 1izombie, Jan 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1izombie

1izombie Well-Known Member

2. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

How disrespectful. I'm against it.
  3. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

If there's a way to reinforce the stereotype that 'all Muslims = terrorists', then this is it. That said, if it is necessary for identification purposes, for example on passport photos, then that's fair enough. I wouldn't go as far as to ban the thing, but - regardless if its religion or not - sensibility and common sense have to prevail, for example in hospitals. You wouldn't want a nurse or doctor wearing one of those - think of the risk of infection if someone spits / vomits etc on it...

All in all - don't ban them, but offer guidelines as to where it is prudent not to wear it (e.g. hospitals, prison officers etc).
  4. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Well, you'd not be allowed a ski mask in a bank, so in that light this ban is appropriate. You would be allowed a ski mask on public transportation (lord knows we do in Canada), so this ban is probably overreaching its stated purpose and extending into politics.

I don't believe this is explicitly associating Muslims with terrorism - anyone could hide behind a burqa. Ultimately, I do believe this to be a xenophobic measure, all-in-all.
  5. sammakko

sammakko Banned Member

I scare of those. I do not even trust people which I can see... Those man are monsters when they forced woman hide themselves. It represent power of men and violence of men. I am so sorry for those immigrant women face are full of bruises. (And yes not all blab blab blaa.. I mean for those I have seen.)

I saw terrible nightmare. I was on the market place of my own home town and I was the only white on there. There was just different cultures and nobody talk my language. That was terrible.

It is real scare, not racism or anything. We had so much work to get even these laws in here and now I scare we go back again.

On our museum there is woman whipe still there and I want to keep it there and not on my skin... :whip:

6. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

I look at it as people, not a religion, wearing whatever they choose. I agree with aeou about wearing concealing clothing in banks and high security areas, but besides that...

I suppose bikers can't wear their helmets when they are not on their bikes then too? :brett: I bet it's a law of uniqueness not concept.
  7. sammakko

sammakko Banned Member

Is it really whatever they choose when dads haunt their daughters who want to keep regular clothes on school like their friends on school have.
  8. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I am very much in favour of equal rights for women, but I'm not sure it's fair to say that burqas are forced on women.
  9. sammakko

sammakko Banned Member

And I guess that is why we have news at the time when young girls have to escape their dads because they do not want to use burqas and their dads want to beat and kill their own child because of piece of fabric?

Do not call it forced, I call it forced.
  10. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

That is a particular case. You can find many girls escaping their dads for reasons not involving a burqa.
  11. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

Yeah it is forced upon on some women. And some women accept it, and some women want it. You'll find examples of every possibility, especially with any religion that has "requirements". I don't agree with it, but it's not my religion, it's someone elses. And some people have found some sort of peace with it. Really, who am I to tell someone how to live their life? As long as their not interfering in mine, go for it.
  12. sammakko

sammakko Banned Member

Oh I am hopeless with people who want to teach me... I wish that even once someone who want to teach me first bothered to know something about my life before they kindly give their wisdoms....
  13. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

I dont think aoeu meant to come off as preaching, just responding to your comment by giveing a different perspective and bringing it to light in this conversation.

I hear you, it would be nice for people to get to know someone before they started preaching morals and ethics. We try I suppose, but fear of other possibilities can cause us to jump the gun and look before we leap. As I suppose the french government has in this case.
  14. Synesthetic Soul

Synesthetic Soul Well-Known Member

I disagree with this. Ban the entire burqa? Why not just politely ask them to take off the face part when they enter things like banks and such?

I don't know, while I disagree with burqas being forced on some women I can't say that burqas are a pure sign of control. Like others have said: Some women choose to wear the burqa.

And I understand why people might be afraid, it was also mentioned that ANYONE can wear a burqa and use that as a tool to commit crime. It's a sad world when people's religions get stomped on because other people do bad things.
  15. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Great topic man. It's receiving a lot of attention by some of the journals and periodicals I read. It's becoming something of a major national debate in France too, with questions of xenophobia, freedom of expression, and the country's strong - and constitutionally enshrined - tradition of secularism.

I for one am against it. For one thing, the semantics are suspect. Burqas are coarsely nicknamed 'beekeeper suits' worn in certain conservative Islamic cultures, such as those in Afghanistan. In France, barely a few thousand Muslim women wear it (out of a population of several million).

Most women wear nijab, the headdresses that cover the hair and usually leave the face shown. For most women who wear them, it's the equivalent of a yarmulke or cross - a show of faith (albeit not on the same level, since it's not really required in the Koran). For others, it's part of their identity or culture, no different than the sari worn by Indians. And for still others, it's just something they wear for comfort and to keep from feeling objectified or 'check out.'

While some of those backing the ban likely have good intentions, such as truly believing it's an affront to woman's rights, I think it comes down to this underlying fear among many French people that their strongly held culture is being diluted by "Islaminization.' Mosques, minarets, headresses - none of these things are traditionally French, and like with most of Europe there is ultimately a clash of culture between immigrants and 'natives' that have their own strongly defined cultural identities.
  16. 1izombie

i dont think a burqa has anything to do with islam but I plead ignorance on this point...anyways i think in some cases it would be prudent to ban them but I think an outright ban is over stepping any good intentions...
  17. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

Kinda off topic, but when I first viewed this thread, I thought it read burger ban...
  18. 1izombie

lol ur not the 1st to say that ...lol but I would like to say that im against a burger ban ... :D
  19. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

I feel uneasy when I see a burqa, because there is a person beneath it that I cannot see. That's sad, because 70% of human communication is body language and facial expressions.

To ban is not the best way though. The women who are forced to wear the burqa/niqab (fortunately, they're a minority in the west), will they be kept at home isolated by their husbands then?
  20. pit

pit Well-Known Member

They should be banned. <mod edit: *sparkle* : racist>
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.