But how do I stop the suicidal thoughts?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Pollo, Oct 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pollo

Pollo Well-Known Member

My question is how do I end my suicidal thoughts? How should I react every time I get them? that is the most tiring thing, not knowing how to diminish the suicidal thoughts and stop thinking and researching on methods and ways to end my life.
  2. No_Life

No_Life Well-Known Member

if there was an easy answer to this, not many of us would be here now. unfortunately there is no real long term answer. everyone develops their own methods of dealing with the thoughts, usually talking things over with trusted ones, trying to sort out any problems that are making them feel down and suicidal.

what you need to do for now, is focus on something else like music or a film or book or exerciseing and/or talk about your feelings with someone, and go see your doctor and hopefully a psychologist/therapist asap! people here are all here for you, and so will be your doctor and professionals and your family and friends.
  3. hollowvoice

hollowvoice Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

but if you do find an answer let us know
  4. HardLuck

HardLuck Member

No Life is right. If you can find something to throw yourself into when you are feeling your lowest it will help take your mind off of it. A game, a hobby, playing with a pet, a movie anything. I have a video game I play that is my refuge when I feel my lowest. I love to photograph things. I used to draw but cant anymore as I shake to badly :(
    I hope some of these things helped you. You are always welcome to come and chat on here too
  5. Alonewanderer

Alonewanderer Active Member

The company of the opposite sex usually keeps my mind off of suicide.
  6. Pollo

Pollo Well-Known Member

Yes, it helps, thanks a lot!!
    are you willing to chat? I need to talk to someone who understands how I feel and with no judgement.

7. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i haven't been able to make the thoughts go away but i will try alot of things to help me through a crisis, where the thoughts are overwhelming. i call a friend. if a friend isn't available i call the crisis line. the people there are really friendly and helpful. you don't have to lie to them about how you feel, they have heard it all.

i write in my journal. getting it out on paper really helps me. sometimes i try to disentangle my thoughts using cbt (cognitive behavioural therapy). i try and identify what i was thinking immediately before i started feeling suicidal (ie. i will think i am worthless or unloveable). then i try and tackle the feelings with logic (i am worthy, i have many friends, etc).

i come here and post when i feel suicidal. sharing here really, really helps.

sometimes i remind myself that it is only "x" number of days till my next therapy appointment. my therapist has helped me loads. i can talk to her about anything.

finally, if it's real emergency and i'm feeling sure i'm about to hurt myself i go to the ER. there's always mental health workers there 24/7 and they keep me safe when i can't do it for myself.

hope some of these ideas help
  8. No_Life

No_Life Well-Known Member

i'm happy to chat, as are a lot of people here. if you post a thread in the buddy chat or reply to one, pm or msn buddies arent too hard to come by. hope this helps.
  9. dreams4life

dreams4life Well-Known Member

I have a suggestion. I have said this before in some other post. I try to challenge my thoughts. Whenever a thought puts me down. I challenge it. I do the opposite. If I am afraid, and a thought tells me to look down, I do the opposite by looking up. You have to challenge these thoughts that brings you down. It will feel good when you do the opposite of negative thoughts. When the thought tells you to hurt yourself, you should say no I want to live. Be strong.
  10. Pollo

Pollo Well-Known Member

thanks a lot! it really helps me what you told me, it inspired me, thanks!
  11. Twinkle ☆ Twinkle

Twinkle ☆ Twinkle Well-Known Member

Keeping distracted seems like the best thing to do.
    Try doing things you like. Perhaps watching tv, reading, going out, or something.

I usually find it very helpful to write. Like journaling or writting poetry. Things like this help me express feelings.

Sometimes finding random people to talk to on the internet helps too.
  12. misscat

misscat New Member

I am in the same boat as you Pollo. I try the distraction technique, watching DVD's or reading something engrossing. Dosen't work for very long since I have been having almost constant suicidal ideations.

Not big on chatting but you can PM me if you like.
  13. LillMy8989

LillMy8989 Well-Known Member

MUSIC!! My head is full of thoughts which I have very hard to release from, can't think of any but those sometimes which annoys me and goes right into the psychotic territory.

The other is SOUND:O :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.