C-PTSD (Complex PTSD)

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Kiba, Mar 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kiba

Kiba Well-Known Member

Just wanted to make a thread about C-PTSD (Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder). It's not really considered a diagnosis but I think it fits me and my situation and wanted to see if others felt the same. I researched PTSD once when I went to a hospital and the Social Worker told me I didn't have PTSD and told my dad I was lying to him, basically because I couldn't explain WHY I had the PTSD. Anyway, sorry this thread isn't meant to be a rant. More just for people's information.

C-PTSD is caused by prolonged trauma, or when having one trauma after another. And it is also associated with the person feeling powerless or being trapped in those situations. Some of the traumas may be sexual, physical, and emotional abuse. As well as things such as domestic violence and torture.

Some differences with C-PTSD from PTSD include problems feeling captive, loss of feeling safe, trouble with trust and self worth, and a tenancy to be re-victimized, and attachment problems.

Possible Symptoms of children with C-PTSD-

Attachment- problems with relationship boundaries, lack of trust, lack of empathy, social isolation

Biology- Sensory integration problems and increased medical problems.

Dissociation- amnesia, depersonalization, discrete states of consciousness with discrete memories, affect, and functioning, and impaired memory for state-based events

Behavioral control - problems with impulse control, aggression, pathological self-soothing, and sleep problems

Cognition - difficulty regulating attention, problems with a variety of "executive functions" such as planning, judgment, initiation, use of materials, and self- monitoring, difficulty processing new information, difficulty focusing and completing tasks, poor object constancy, problems with "cause-effect" thinking, and language developmental problems such as a gap between receptive and expressive communication abilities.

Self-concept -fragmented and disconnected autobiographical narrative, disturbed body image, low self-esteem, excessive shame, and negative internal working models of self.

Possible Symptoms of adults with C-PTSD-

Difficulties regulating emotions, including symptoms such as persistent sadness, suicidal thoughts, explosive anger, or covert anger.

Variations in consciousness, such as forgetting traumatic events, reliving traumatic events, or having episodes of dissociation (during which one feels detached from one's mental processes or body).

Changes in self-perception, such as a sense of helplessness, shame, guilt, stigma, and a sense of being completely different from other human beings.

Varied changes in the perception of the perpetrator, such as attributing total power to the perpetrator or becoming preoccupied with the relationship to the perpetrator, including a preoccupation with revenge.

Alterations in relations with others, including isolation, distrust, or a repeated search for a rescuer.

Loss of, or changes in, one's system of meanings, which may include a loss of sustaining faith or a sense of hopelessness and despair.

Information from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C-PTSD
  2. sunshinesblack

sunshinesblack Well-Known Member

good thing u posted this
  3. wistwand

wistwand Member

I think I have CPTSD too. I put myself through hell 10 years ago. It lasted a year, but ever since then I've just kind of drifted along with all the symptoms of CPTSD, especially the flashbacks and revenge fantasies.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.