Caffeine

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by pit, Feb 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pit

pit Well-Known Member

Does caffeine make anyone acutely suicidal? It makes me feel down, paranoid, nervous and suicidal. I think I'll lay off it for good.

2. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

I don't think caffeine directly would, however as it's a stimulant then it might make you more aware of your thoughts or more likely to act on any suicidal feelings you may have been having.

I went through a stage of drinking loads of caffeine as I liked how I felt when I had loads of Red Bull or similar things. I liked having all that extra energy because I knew I would be more inclined to attempt.

To cut a long story short, I was on edge & anxious all the time, ended up taking an od & felt crap for days. I never went back to it after that cause I was actually scared of how I was when I'd been drinking it. From the way I've been talking you'd think I was on hardcore drugs but nope it was just energy drinks.

3. Shiroi_Hana

Shiroi_Hana Well-Known Member

I've never really made that connection before; is caffeine really capable of enhancing suicidal thoughts/feelings? I mean, I ingest a lot of caffeine in a day...

4. user5671

user5671 Member

same here i probably drink like a 2 liter of mountain dew aday, that would be funny if it did

5. HOW

HOW Well-Known Member

Alcohol is a depressant but I doubt caffeine causes negative thoughts in your mind.

6. ryanglander

ryanglander Well-Known Member

Caffeine not only increases my suicidal feelings and anxiety. It makes me feel terrible like 5 minutes after I finish drinking cofee or anything with a lot of caffeine.

I'll say this about caffeine, I have a date planned for my independence day, and that will be the next, and last day I consume caffeine.

7. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

I'm hypothyroid and not getting a proper dose of medication to keep me in a therapeutic range. If I didn't drink 12 to 15 cups of black coffee a day (usually from rising until about noon) plus three or four cups of tea (spread out over the rest of the day) I'd spend my life asleep. Been doing it this way for several years now. And I can't say I've noticed any correlation, never mind causation between all that caffeine and any kind of suicidal ideation.

PS: They just upped the dosage last week, but I doubt it was enough.

8. perry_mason

perry_mason Well-Known Member

caffeine has never made me feel that way. i imagine you would have to take quite a high amount for it to have an adverse effect like that.

9. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I drink two pots of coffee a day and ice tea all day. Have never had any problems stemming from it. As a matter of fact it has an adverse affect it helps me sleep..

10. Roly

Roly Member

i think caffeine can cause higher levels of anxiety
    and also if u have alot of caffeine and then dont have any for a while your body experiences a 'crash' and can cause depression and anxiety.
    i think its to do with adrenaline n seratonine n what not
    xxxx

11. pensive1981

pensive1981 Well-Known Member

If you've made a connection between caffeine and negative thoughts / feelings, then it may be working in that manner for you and be something you'll want to try cutting out or reducing. It doesn't sound that far-fetched.

12. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Caffeine makes me hyper and a little anxious..but suicidal..iv never noticed the link.

13. mdmefontaine

mdmefontaine Antiquities Friend

i'm so addicted to caffeine, but ONLY my 2 morning cups...hot,black,strong, i'm good for the day. if i had more...maybe adverse effects?? maybe it causes different reactions in different people idk??

14. justafool

justafool Well-Known Member

Each person's body chemistry is different. For me, caffeine served as an antidepressant, and I was highly dependent on it for several years. Then I quit it and now I only drink one can of pop a day, and no coffee.

It is possible to sharply reduce your caffeine intake without major withdrawal problems. You may get a severe headache for a few days, and perhaps suffer through a few panic attacks and such as that. But you can do it.

15. user5671

user5671 Member

so far ive only noticed that if i drink alot of caffiene 1 day and then none the following day I get an extreme migrane headache and it feels like my head bout to explode, bout it tho.

16. JohnADreams

JohnADreams Well-Known Member

I'm trying to cut down on my caffeine intake, to help with quality of sleep. Seems to be working so far. :unsure:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.