Calling a crisis hotline

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Blacky, Jan 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Hey yo,
    Since a couple of weeks I'm feeling in the edge again. I couldn't really sleep or anything nor can I concentrate on other things than to kill myself and flee this misery. Today was really bad. I walked out at 1 p.m. and all i could think of was to actually do it. (To act on my plan I worked on a couple of weeks ago). Funny enough I didn't do it because I just got an SMS from a friend who said he would rather spend the evening with me than at this party he were. I don't know why but with this statement I went home but I couldn't really shake this feeling of. And I'm not sure if I'm gonna try something again it not.
    Some of you already know that one of my closer friends also feels suicidal and that he brings me down because he lets all his frustration out on me. And because he has a crush on me and I rejected him, because I said that we are both not ready for a relationship he feels really down and says/writes me everyday that he is gonna kill himself... Which makes things difficult for me because I don't know what to do and everything I say or do brings him down... So I can't really escape this situation and I don't know how to handle it...
    So, back to my main question... Many of you suggested to call a friend a crisis hotline or a hospital if you feeling suicidal but as for me, I have no idea what to say or except...
    I don't wanna call a friend because I don't wanna hurt them with my feeling, also that I believe it would be easier to talk to them.
    So I could call a crisis hotline or a hospital but I'm not quite sure what to expect...
    I'm a really shy person, also speaking with people in a different language (as you know I am German) is quite difficult for me...
    Also I'm afraid that they will put me into a hospital again if i say I'm feeling suicidal and have a plan...
    Maybe some of you could share your experience about that with me? That would be really nice. Or do you have to tips for me for calling them?
    Sorry if I'm getting on your nerves but I can't go on like this anymore.
    I know I'm a pain...

2. demuredawn

demuredawn Well-Known Member

you are not a pain. calling a crisis line is a good idea. there are certain crisis lines you can call that do not turn you over to authorities at the drop of the line "i want to kill myself" but rather try to work with you. I am told this is one such crisis line: http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/

I sincerely doubt it would be a problem with your accent, meaning I think they would be patient and kind and try to work with you and if they have a prob understanding you either get a translator on the line for you or else would just try to patiently clarify everything (which they do a lot of anyway), so don't let that stop you. I called a crisis line once, but I didn't know that some of them call authorities on you right away, and of course, thats the ones I got... so that was my experience, but a lot of other people have had better expreiences. It may not be a good idea to call a friend unless they understand what it is like to be suicidal, because often times people will make it worse unintentionally... and then it upsets both of you. Going to a hospital or calling to enquire if you should come in for possible admission, is also a good idea. I am glad that you are still trying to help yourself even now. That shows great courage. I know that asking for help can be scary, but it feels a lot better once you get it....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.