Calling a hotline

Status
Not open for further replies.
I called a hotline last night.

The first time I've used it.

But it felt so wrong-talking a stranger.

I asked them if the conversation would be confidential.

He says 'well, I have to be honest with you--if I think you are going to hurt yourself-I will call the authorities and get you help. Are you thinking of killing yourself right now?'

What the F...?

Why else would I be calling?

So, I hung up on him. Then I sat all night, perfectly still--tried to not move at all.
Not a muscle. Afraid that if I did, motion would lead me over the edge.
Who can understand that, and talk to you, without making you feel even more like a failure?

How do you step away from the feelings and pain, and shake yourself back into living?

total eclipse

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
I don't understand why you hung up. If you did not want themto call anyone just say youwould not kill yourself just talk and say i have feeling of not wanting to be here but won't act on them Please talk to me to help me decrease my pain and lonliness Please understand they only want to help you they care. If you were going to kill yourself they would want to stop you so you would get the care you need and deserve. I hope you can trust that they truly want the best for you I am glad you came here for support

Heya howsthat,

You could always contact the samaritans
www.samaritans.org / 08457909090 (UK) or email [email protected]

Everything you tell them is totally confidential.
(this is quoted from the website I gave earlier)

Confidentiality

All information relating to a caller is confidential to Samaritans unless:

* We have informed consent from a caller to pass on information
* We call an ambulance because a caller appears to be incapable of making rational decisions for him or herself
* We receive a court order requiring us to divulge information
* We are passed information about acts of terrorism or bomb warnings
* A caller attacks or threatens volunteers
* A caller deliberately prevents the service from being delivered to other callers
* Samaritans maintains confidentiality even after the death of a caller.

I don't understand why you hung up. If you did not want themto call anyone just say youwould not kill yourself just talk and say i have feeling of not wanting to be here but won't act on them Please talk to me to help me decrease my pain and lonliness Please understand they only want to help you they care. If you were going to kill yourself they would want to stop you so you would get the care you need and deserve. I hope you can trust that they truly want the best for you I am glad you came here for support
I don't know what I was expecting. Like this is supposed to be a big heal all solution--

I wasn't exactly rational, anyway.

I just kept thinking, it would be so easy to jump-no one is around. No one can stop me.

I wasn't wanting someone to tell me they would stop me.

I wanted someone to say-it's ok to let go. Just do it, jump, and your reasons for not, are not worth the hesitation.

I wasn't looking for someone to talk me out of it.

I was looking for someone to tell me-it's ok

The purpose of the hotline is to help you through the urges and feelings, not to tell you it is okay to act on them. That is why they are called a crisis line. To help you get through the crisis. No one wants to see you harm yourself. :hug:

The purpose of the hotline is to help you through the urges and feelings, not to tell you it is okay to act on them. That is why they are called a crisis line. To help you get through the crisis. No one wants to see you harm yourself. :hug:
I know no one wants to see me harm myself, I'm ok with that-I can do it on my own.

I think I will soon anyway. But I need to hear it's ok to let go of the things that hurt to leave behind. Obviously I can't take them with me.

I just want quiet. Darkness that is pure and not convoluted with painful memories and guilt.

I just want to die, but my body won't let me. It's betraying me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do know how it feels to not want to be here anymore, how it feels to feel totally alone, to feel you have no hope. I would like to just not be here anymore, I feel I have lost everything that really mattered. I would like a way out because I want the fear, pain, horror, frustration, anger, dread, depression, suicidal thoughts to stop. But feel I don't have the courage to end it.
Maybe a small part of me somewhere thinks it's possible things might get better and that I DO have the courage to carry on.
I have heard other people who survived a suicide attempt say that they are glad they didn't succeed because their life did improve in the end.
I guess what I'm saying is; there is always hope, whether or not we can see it at the time.
You are important and worthwhile.
Are you seeing a therapist?
:hugtackles:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00