Calling all Catholics!

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Briezy, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Briezy

Briezy Well-Known Member

do you ever feel that there is this looming rule over your head that Catholics cannot have suicidal thoughts because it is a eternal sin to kill you self and you will not go to heaven? Do you ever feel that it is just an acceptable to have a mental illness like major depression in the Catholic Church? I know I do. I was just wondering what everyone else's thoughts were on this. Is it okay for me to have these feelings and be a Catholic? Sometimes I feel that I can't talk to people at church because they will think I am a devil or something. It really limits my support system.

2. Wallace

Wallace Active Member

Funny you should mention that. I'm Catholic, and the therapist I used to see said that he saw a lot of Catholic patients who suffered from guilt. While I'm no expert on theology, I can say that your health and safety are paramount. Please don't add this type of guilt to whatever burden you already feel that you carry.

SillyOldBear likes this.
  3. Briezy

Briezy Well-Known Member

Thank you so much. I am glad to hear that I am not alone.

4. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

I agree with Wallace, you do not need that kind of guilt. I am Presbyterian. They are rather less strict then Catholics. At least that is my impression. But I strongly suspect that Catholics are no less susceptible to suicidal ideation then anyone else. And a refusal to acknowledge these thoughts only makes things worse. They need to be brought out into the open, discussed and understood. I hope this site will make you feel less alone and that you can find at least one person in your church you can talk to.

5. Depressed Since 1974

Depressed Since 1974 Active Member

I think the Catholic Church recognizes the challenges of mental health. But I agree it is still hit or miss. Your parish priest should be the best source of information and provide the best guidance to get support. As a lapsed catholic, I remember the priest used to call out church members to keep in our prayers during Sunday mass. I'm not sure if that practice is still done. But the call out was always done without revealing the nature of the illness or specific need.

6. Briezy

Briezy Well-Known Member

1974 they still do that. I think I am already on the list from a church friend putting me on there but I hadn't thought of that.

Thanks everyone else for the advice. I do carry a lot of guilt about being catholic and having mental illness. I really struggle with my faith but I should really go talk to a priest. Thanks guys.

7. cren

cren Well-Known Member

when i was in high school i remember that my teacher taught us.. who is a nun by the way.. that there is a difference between temptation and sin.. i think ideation of suicide is a temptation.. and it will not be a sin unless you give in to the urge to do it.. and we all are tempted to sin every now and then.. i think the church recognizes that weakness.. there was even a poster about something like counseling about depression and suicidal thoughts that was posted in from of the church that i go to.. i think they won't think less of you if you tell them about it.. probably they'll even be glad that you seek their help.. because after all they are there to guide us not to judge us..