calling to say goodbye?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by wunderwood, Dec 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wunderwood

wunderwood Well-Known Member

Okay I have a question. I guess I am planning some stuff out and was thinking that there may be a person or two that I would like to call and say bye to.

I am thinking maybe this isn't the best idea? It wouldn't be some last ditch omg save me type of thing. More so just to call and say thank you for being an amazing person in my life, love you etc. Not to say hey, i'm about to off myself type thing.

I was just wondering if anyone had any input into this. I've never been put in a situation where someone called me and shortly thereafter took their life. I just don't know what the potential psychological ramifications might be to the person(s) I would call.

Thanks for any input.

2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

No. Absolutely NOT. They have to find out AFTER you do it. They will feel THOROUGHLY responsible for your death if you do this.

3. MeAndYou

MeAndYou Well-Known Member

As someone who had a friend that committed suicide, I'll give input. This person didnt call me right before she killed herself, in fact, i hadnt spoken to her in a few months. But i STILL felt like there was SOMETHING i could have done...that i at some point had an opportunity to do something that would result in her not committing suicide. Thats not a fun feeling...And i dont wish it on anyone. So, i think calling someone and saying "youve been great..but bye"...is not a good idea even if your intentions are good. They may feel guilty, or even responsible.

Having said that, I dont think you should kill yourself. Why? What better way to show the person you want to call that they have been good to you than trucking on through and doing your best to become healthy emotionally...

And everyone here at SF is here for you. Best of luck :smile:

4. wunderwood

wunderwood Well-Known Member

thank you both. It was kinda what I was thinking, that it wouldn't be a good idea. I appreciate the thoughts.

5. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

as others have said, calling would not be a wise thing to do. I would much rather you call and ask for help and let them try to support you through this difficult time. Why are you feeling this way right now?

6. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Agree with others.

Best idea is not to do it :hug:

Why are you so sad?

7. bitterTears

bitterTears New Member

when i attempted, i did that. it saved my life tho b/c she could see through all my bullshit. but i wasnt in my right mind then. i called to let her know that i loved her and that i was sorry...

i wouldnt do that now.

8. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

Your friends and family are going to feel really lousy if you kill yourself. Please reconsider and just talk with somebody. You may feel like you're putting somebody out by talking with them, but in the end you're saving them tons of anxiety, guilt and their own sanity.

:hug:

Or just stick around and talk to us. We're a pretty fun group.

James.

9. levitated-one

levitated-one Well-Known Member

Not good to leave a goodbye note... that will make them remember more about the tragedy.. you want them to forget fast..and move on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.