Calming Suicidal Thoughts

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by What Ever, Jul 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. What Ever

What Ever Active Member

I recently started having suicidal thoughts again after not having too serious thoughts about that for a while. The thing that scares me is that the thoughts made me feel peaceful. I feel horrible for thinking of taking my life. I don't want to hurt anyone by doing that. The problem is I just don't care that much about hurting myself. I know suicide isn't really painless, but...I don't know where I am going with this. I feel afraid to share anything like this honestly.

It's so hard to figure out who can be trusted in talking about thoughts like this. Does anyone else struggle with sharing information with people? It's a constant burden to me.

2. brknsilence

brknsilence Well-Known Member

I struggle with sharing much with anyone, especially the suicidal thoughts.I'm scared if I say anything regarding it, then I'll be sent back to the hospital. It gets hard. I have no idea who to talk to. Know I'm here. Don't give up. Stay strong. You are worth it.

3. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

I find in the short term distraction is helpful in calming the suicidal thoughts. I try and do something I either or enjoy or causes me to focus. I usually play games, sometimes I write to get my feelings out or I might watch a movie or something.

I am terrible for not talking about how I feel but it doesn't do me any good to bottle it up and keep it to myself. It only makes things worse so you do need to perhaps confide in someone, ideally a doctor. They won't put you in hospital for suicidal thoughts alone. Most people with depression will get suicidal thoughts to some degree, it's only if you have a sure plan and intend to act on it that they get worried and may look at hospital as an option.

4. What Ever

What Ever Active Member

I guess if I am being honest then I should say that I had more than just thoughts about suicide recently. No real attempt, but about as close to it as one can do. I have a meeting today with my psychologist, but am unsure how much to actually say because of the fact that it was more than just a thought, but still not totally acted upon. I do get overly paranoid about things and so it is probably okay to talk with my psychologist about anything, but I do have fears of being forced into a hospital or some other kind of treatment.

Also, I didn't realize until now that my post title is confusing. I meant calming suicidal thoughts in that the thoughts were disturbingly calming to me. I definitely agree that distraction can help in the short term. It may not be a long term solution, but sometimes it is all I have.

5. What Ever

What Ever Active Member

Thank you, brknsilence. It is good to know that someone understands and is listening. I have the fears of being sent to the hospital too. I am trying to stay strong.

6. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Sorry, I did misinterpret the title. I have experienced these calm, suicidal thoughts before, and I think it is quite frightening at times and is a sure fire way to know that I need help sooner rather than later. Sometimes it is extremely beneficial to explore suicidal thoughts in depth with a professional like a therapist or psychologist, it can be healthy to explore and look at the reasons for this. It doesn't necessarily mean you are going to end up in hospital. And sometimes, although it's scary, it's not always the worst option if that is what you need.

7. kalliela

kalliela Active Member

Ya, they won't put you in a hospital unless they feel like you are a real threat to yourself..or if you check yourself into the e.r. over worry of hurting yourself..they likely will send you to the hospital.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.