calorie counting

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by SmilePretty, Jul 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SmilePretty

SmilePretty Staff Alumni

When I eat, I know exactly what and how much I am eating. Whether it be caloric intake or portion size, i know, and I measure. Measure. Measure. Measure. I write down everything i eat and how much of it. I total the calories at the end of the day. :unsure: i am not setting limits to the amount of calories i eat every day, but I still feel like this is unhealthy. does anyone else do this?

2. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

My ex used to do this, it was not the fact she was counting I think it is to do with more obsessive compulsive behaviour, where you need to have control on something in your life (sorry do not mean to sound harsh there, it was for want of a better expression), so basically you have x amount of stresses in your life, which you are finding hard to cope with, and maybe feel you have little control over. So basically you find solace and comfort in other things that you can control, this may include cutting etc, hope that makes sense.

Rich

3. cownes

cownes Well-Known Member

i do it too it can be draining constantly knowing and working out how many caloreis, but i am starting to limit the amount of calories i intake a day :/ too

4. SmilePretty

SmilePretty Staff Alumni

The control thing makes sense, because my anorexia in general is mostly about control...this calorie counting is a lesser version of that I think. I never considered it as possibly being a compulsive behavior, I need to think about that and evaluate some things because that is a definite possibility.

Cownes, I am scared I am going to go back into restricting.

5. Warm Hands

Warm Hands Well-Known Member

I did this for a couple months last year, actually writing it down and everything, but it was such a hassle, so I gave up on that. Now I just keep track mentally of the calories and stuff, with a limit in mind. I generally stay away from like... everything with a lot of calories and fat... I don`t eat a lot of meat, cheese or nuts or oils becuase of this. I eat salad without dressing becuase I`m terrified of the calories and fat in the olive oil -- eventhough it`s the healthiest stuff out there...

When I do eat (which is usually far more often than I`d like .... ) I eat a lot of fruit and other low calorie and fat things like that...

6. cownes

cownes Well-Known Member

its the first time i have ever started to do this and i kinda am getting worried that i may be starting to develop an eating disorer, people keep pointing out to me that i am losing weight but i cant see it, but even my nan etc has started to comment on it :/

Is there anyway u can try and break the chain so to speak?

7. Sa Palomera

Sa Palomera Well-Known Member

I count calories as well. I don't do it with everything, but I do fill in an online form at the end of the day of what I ate and then it counts the calories you had throughout the day. If it's more than 1500 calories I freak out and eat very little the next day.

8. SmilePretty

SmilePretty Staff Alumni

Cownes, its a possibility that you could be developing an ED, try and get help now before it escalates.

It comforts me to know that I am not the only person writing everything down.

9. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

I used to count the calories, protein, carbs, fibre and fat in everything I ate and log it all on a spreadsheet. I did it in the name of a 'healthy diet' but really I was just trying to keep control, as my average daily calorie consumption was 1,300 (although it has often been much lower than that).

It is a dangerous thing to do, and I think you definitely need to break the habit, although I don't know how you could do this, I'm afraid. Perhaps it's time to speak to someone about your concerns?

Mim

10. asifa

asifa New Member

The principle for losing weight from calorie counting is easy. It’s all about calorie intake and calorie output. If you consume more calories than you burn, then your body will have to do something with the excess calories.

What does the body do with the excess? It stores it for use at a later date which in some way is bad news because the body stores the excess as fat. That’s how we pile on the pounds.

In contrast however, you shed the pounds by burning the stored fat when you burn more calories than you consume.

So to lose weight, all you need to do is burn more calories than you consume.

You will need to know how many calories you need a day first.

11. VALIS

VALIS Well-Known Member

Yes, I do this too.
    Sometimes I lose track of it or know that I'm over my limit, then I excercise to make up for it.
    The counting is tiresome. The fact that I'm thinking about it constantly makes me talk about it too much, because it's all that's on my mind, "do you know how many calories are in that???" etc, it drives my boyfriend crazy but now he's given up.
    Honestly, I don't see any other way to keep my weight in check, there are 4000 calories in a pound, and if you figure out your body mass requirement given your height and activity level without excercise (mine is about 2000) then eating more than that will cause you to slowly gain weight. As for the obsessive, constant counting, it may or may not be healthy; I don't like how much time it takes up but it does let me control my weight.

????? If your weight isn't a problem and you're happy with it, then you might have a problem because there's no rational reason to control calories to that degree.
    That's really all I have to contribute; I can relate, but I've just eaten 2 peanut butter and nutella sandwiches and I am sad because now I can't eat the rest of the day. Woe is me, and I've been doing so well lately.

12. toprngr

toprngr Member

I have to admire your motivation and your will to have this perform in a consistent basis. In fact, if I was assigned to do so, I afraid that I might not be able to do it on a daily basis, I might just grow tired of it and wouldn’t bother much about it. but counting calories does really help in losing weight, what you need to remain constant is eating habits and exercising regularly. That helps better.

13. toprngr

toprngr Member

I have to admire your motivation and your will to have this perform in a consistent basis. In fact, if I was assigned to do so, I afraid that I might not be able to do it on a daily basis, I might just grow tired of it and wouldn’t bother much about it. but counting calories does really help in losing weight, what you need to remain constant is eating habits and exercising regularly. That helps better.

14. Anny

Anny Member

I too, write down and count the amount of calories on everything I eat and/or drink. But I do have limits set on the amount I allow myself to have. I've never been diagnosed with an eating disorder but I know that my eating habits aren't healthy.

15. pinkpetals33

pinkpetals33 Well-Known Member

cannot stop the numbers in my head.....I fear that my calculations are not right so I keep going over and over and over in my head and this is all for barely eating anything. My anorexia is so far out of control for years that this is all I know. I feel trapped day in and day out.

16. SweetVitriol

SweetVitriol Antiquitie's Friend

I can understand what you are doing hon..
    When my dark days draw near I cling onto my ED for dear life as controlling my weight is seemingly the only thing I can control...Even though on an intellectual level I know it is controlling me..

As a long standing male anorexic I have damaged myself so much..I cannot imagine ever having a healthy relationship with food, even though I have been told I am a great cook (I cook for others to suppress my appetite)

Right now I am in it's thrall..I crave the weight to disappear, for me to disappear, completely..

17. pinkpetals33

pinkpetals33 Well-Known Member

I don't know what else to feel either.....what is a life beyond this? Everything is a trigger!!!

18. johnrembo09

johnrembo09 New Member

It is very important topic for discussion. It is very helpful and interesting for every one. All of you have a shared great knowledge about this. According my knowledge i think that A calorie counter is a way to count your daily caloric intake using our easy to use caloric counter. Calorie counting is an easy way for you to manage your weight

19. Moonracer

Moonracer Member

I used to do that. I measured and counted everything I ate. I wrote everything down or I entered everything into an online tracker. I measured everything from broccoli to cereal.

Eventually I got a food scale and I started weighing everything instead of using measuring cups. I was constantly calculating and recalulating my calories. At the end of every day I totaled my calories because I gave myself a limit of 1800.

If I went a little over 1800 I would feel upset. For example, if I ate 1840 calories then the next day I would limit my calories to 1760.

I had started counting calories to lose weight after gaining about 40 lbs.

I stopped when it became way too tedious and tiresome, and I realized that I had to find another way to lose weight. I got sick and tired of living like that and freaking out about food that I couldn't weigh or measure, like restaurant food.

20. zelda23

zelda23 New Member

I definitely do this. A trip to the supermarket can become a day trip lol, because I have to read the labels on every variety of what I'm trying to buy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.