Came out to my family ...

Discussion in 'After Effects' started by Jooper62, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jooper62

Jooper62 Well-Known Member

I attempted suicide 3 times within 3 weeks had past suicidal thoughts and attempts int the past..I tried to hide it from my family after being commited to a mental insitution from my lcsw.. I finally came out to my family where i was because I tried to protect them.. every one is is supportive execept one of my brothers he never called me after i got out of the hospital . I told one of my brothers why he never called me to checked up on me to see how i was doing. He told me the other brother has a hard time dealing with it. My mother had to go to the doctor because of the stress of my attempted suicides...Did i do the wrong thing telling my family?????
  2. Oak

Oak Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

No hun, you did well in telling your family. It is normal that it being a shock to them to learn that so give them time to adjust. It is also normal for your mom to feel stressed as it is scary to know as a parent that your own son is suicidal as she loves you and so is your other brother must be under shock.
    Time will fix everything be sure of that and accept them as they are, normal human reactions. At least one brother is on your side and so is your mom, give time to the second brother, he will come around when he finds peace.

sending you lots of good thoughts

be well and stay safe
    granny xx
  3. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Absolutely not...your brother's issues should not have you doubt your actions...telling your family and getting their support (if they are healthy enough to do so) is critical to you getting one can be successful at anything in life when going it alone...Bravo for you and keep up the actions which affirm your self-worth...all the best, J
  4. middleofnowhere

middleofnowhere Well-Known Member

You did the right thing. Holding it in is not a good thing - it eats you up. Let yourself feel the support of your Mom and brother. Stay up front with them. You might set up a cue if you don't want to tell them everytime you want to attempt. (Like if they see you curled up in a corner somewhere.) Telling your family may have been the biggest, hardest step you've had to take. They will feel better, knowing that you trust them enough to let them into your life.
  5. Milly

Milly Well-Known Member

Ill second that. Wish i had your courage to actually open up to my family and tell them all is not well.
  6. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I think you did right to tell them. Now keep that communication line open between you. I told my family, everyone is supportive except my two nephews. The one said he has no use for anyone that stupid to try to harm themselves.
    I feel that they think everything is honkydorey with me. Little do they know I am fighting to keep me from going thru with it. I wrote more but erased it because this is not the place for me to bear all. Take Care!~Joseph~
  7. notwanting2live

notwanting2live Well-Known Member

Well done for telling them, I wish I had the strength and courage that you had. time is the only answer, adn you cant change it so why dont u accelrate it. speak to your mum if possible, and even your other brother that aint speaking. x

PM me anytime xx

Xx Sky xX
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.