1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can a police officer force medical treament on you

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by theone1977, Sep 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theone1977

    theone1977 Member

    I was just wondering if a police officer can force medical treatment on a person.
  2. absolution

    absolution Forum Buddy

    I think it depends. Like, if your life is in immediate danger then yes i think so. I think they can 'section' you. Also, I know here that if you are having suicidal tendencies or have harmed yourself on person they can force you to go to the hospital.
  3. total eclipse

    total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

    Yes they can form you if they feel you are a threat to yourself or to others
  4. pbobble

    pbobble Well-Known Member

    If your in the UK then they can detain you, if your breaking the law or at risk to yourself. The police cannot force treatment on you, yet you can be sectioned under the mental health act by a doctor and a social worker. At which point you can be forced to remain in hospital and recieve treatment. I assume alot of other countries have similar laws, but don't know.
  5. IV2010

    IV2010 Well-Known Member

    Yes..the police were called on me because I said I would hurt myself and they had to send me to hospital via ambulance..
  6. theone1977

    theone1977 Member

    So all in all if I ended up in one of more black moods and started doing silly things again and did hurt my self then turn round to the ambulance crew or the police in the uk and toll them to get lost and leave me allow then they would not?
  7. Wastingecho

    Wastingecho Well-Known Member

    don't know about the UK

    i've been forcibly taken for evaluation twice - both times by the police, in the squad car, sitting in handcuffs in the emergency room
  8. Isabel

    Isabel Staff Alumni

    Cant tell for the US or UK but yes, in Canada, if you are a danger o yourself and others, they can have you hospitalized against your will. Its a good thing, imo.
  9. UsedToBe

    UsedToBe Well-Known Member

    yeh, it depends where you are based. In the UK it's pretty much what pbobble said alternatively you can be subject to community treatment order under mha 2007, but this has nothing to do with the police.
  10. Anneinside

    Anneinside Well-Known Member

    Yes, in the US. They can take you to the hospital for a 72 hour hold... in handcuffs if necessary but you have to go to court to be held any longer. The psychiatrist has to take you to court. Also, only a court can force you to be medicated, not police.
  11. absolution

    absolution Forum Buddy

    I'm pretty sure they wont 'go away' in the UK or anywhere. :/
  12. pbobble

    pbobble Well-Known Member

    No in the uk they are unlikely to go away. You may not end up in a psychiatric hospital as a result, as you would likely be referred to a crisis resolution team, a nurse would see and assess you at the general hospital, if you ended up there. They would help to decide how to help you best, they try to keep people out of hospital where possible nowadays.

    Please seek treatment for your depression, things can improve for people, I have no doubt of this through my own and others experience. Its better to be active in seeking and getting help than end up being sectioned under the mental health act, although if neccessary this can save lives. If this was to happen to you, get legal advice and representation, you would be entitled to it.

    Good luck
  13. thepainwithin

    thepainwithin Well-Known Member

    I'm on probation for "drugs" (weed) and the courts only solution is forcing me to see a doctor to give me more drugs. Good thing it's a prescription or I might get addicted... I think this emoticon will do it... :unsure:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.