Can an eating disorder be involuntary?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by falling_angel, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. falling_angel

falling_angel Active Member

Well, can it? I have barely been eating anything. I can, but at the same time, I can't. Physically I can, but I guess mentally I can't. I'm not sure why this is happening, it's only started the last two weeks. My brother thought it had something to do with the holidays, but I'm not so sure.....
  2. Locket

Locket Well-Known Member

i'd say yes, most of the time it's involuntary because most people don't intend to go as far as they do to manage their weight.
    also, people under a lot of stress, or those suffering with depression can also slip into the habits of an eating disorder. it's still an eating disorder, even if it's not triggered by the desire to "be as skinny as that model"... a lot of the time it's a form of punishment, or just a way to hide from the world.
    i'm sorry you're feeling like you can't eat. food is an important thing that your body needs to work and build and heal itself.
    i'd suggest you go and see your doctor, or talk to someone like a therapist and try and figure out why this is happening.
    best of luck :heart:
    laura x
  3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I'd also say yes, either way though you need to seek professional help to deal with this. A doctor/therapist is probably the only person that can get to the root of your thoughts :hug: i hope you feel better soon x
  4. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Stress will keep you from eating. I had that problem last summer, lost about 15 pounds. I doubt it's an eating disorder - the holidays could very well be causing you stress that's preventing you from eating.
  5. savetoniqht

savetoniqht Well-Known Member

I don't really think EDs in general are voluntary. You may voluntarily stop eating, but once it controls you there's nothing voluntary about it. So yes, it definitely can be. It usually is.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.