Can anyone answer me this?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Saoirse, Mar 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saoirse

Saoirse Guest

Is this a support group for people that need support or Attention Seekers R Us?

Someone...anyone...answer me that.

Because lately I just don't know.
  2. BLahg

BLahg Guest

Weeeeeellllllll, to be honest, this isn't much of a support forum. Honestly, we all got problems here, even the mods. Is there even one real professional counselor on this forum willing to give attention and support? I doubt it. This place is more akin to MUPUTANS- Messed Up People Unite To Accomplish Nothing Forums (corny title, I know).
  3. Saoirse

Saoirse Guest

I wouldn't say SF hasn't accomplished ANYTHING. I see it as a common ground for people with any and all problems. To come here and have someone listen at the very least.

I've known quite afew younger members acutally get help for the first time either by telling a parent or going to a doctor to enable them to get professional help.

So in that sense I would say SF has done some good.
  4. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

The whole point of SF is that it is peer support... we don't claim to be professionals but I know I have often received support here that professionals would be unable to supply.
  5. smackh2o

smackh2o SF Supporter

For some people, an ear can mean the difference between life and death.
    That's what the site does.
  6. BrooklynRider

BrooklynRider Well-Known Member

Being able to go anywhere, post a statement or question, and get feedback is very productive and helpful. The very nature of suicide or suicidal thoughts is about feeling desperate and not knowing how to get help. The "attention seeking" might bother you, because perhaps you find yourself competing for the same attention. I take it all seriously. Certainly, it can be abused, but even those who might be abusing it are coming here and getting something they need. Attention may be it.

I definitely get the gist of what you are saying. Yet, we all come here with a fear that we will be judged or misunderstood. I admire you for postig what a lot of others might be feeling. At the same time, I don't want to be the person to decide someone is a poser or in serious trouble. I do pick and choose who and what posts I respond to. I don't engage in threads I find useless or circular - repeating the same message over and over. It does have the feel of a community and as such there are folks you like and folks you don't. The trick is to keep your heart open and remain compassionate.
  7. smackh2o

smackh2o SF Supporter

I couldnt agree more with you if I wanted to. You really hit the nail on the head BrooklynRider.
  8. ~PinkElephants~

~PinkElephants~ Senior member

i dont think saoirse meant it as this being a support forum what he's saying is lately a lot of people have been saying things and it seems to be just for attention. They aren't necessarily really in danger they are just saying things to seek attention from others on the site.
  9. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

Who are you to say that people are 'attention seeking'?. I would imagine that ANYBODY who comes on a suicide forum looking for support, or attention seeking as you so kindly put it, have problems to some degree. I mean 'attention seeking' is a problem in itself. :dry:
  10. Just A Girl

Just A Girl Guest

I honestly hate to addmitt it that lately it seems to be a whole lot of attention seeking and menipulation. I don't know how it got to this. And I alsop agree with Sarah/Shygirl, SF has offered a type of support that therapists can't. not saying therapy doesn't help, because it does, but here you gain understanding and friendshhips, ones you don't have to hide yourself and what's going on.

Another thing is these people that come on nearly daily and say they are done or they are killing themselves, keep you awake all night, and they start acting like nothing happend if you call them or etc. I can understand wanting to be heard, but suicidal isn't something to use to be heard, it's very serious, and things like this day in and out has caused me to be ill, and I would do it over again to the ones who are serious, but seems .. I don't know, it just wears you down.. I don't understand this completely. *sigh*
  11. Lost Disciple

Lost Disciple Well-Known Member

This place is a support forum, where you recieve help from peers without fear of being judged. Unfortunately, anytime there are peers or any form of community, there will be people who are seeking attention. That's just how it goes.

Some of those people though, the one's who say they are going to k1ll themselves that very night or whatever, I think for some of them saying it aloud helps them as much as anything else--it slows them down and makes them think about it, etc.

But, you know, whatever. As far as I know, everyone but me might merely be posers and attention seekers or whatnot.
    It's worth a chance though.
  12. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

SF is a support forum for people in crisis, as the name says. It's peer support and says very clearly in the guidelines that none of the mods/admins are professionals. This is peer support - one friend to another. As to the "attention seekers", yes sometimes it gets a bit annoying when people constantly post that they're going to kill themselves and then come back on the next day as if everything were fine and dandy. But that's how mental illness goes sometimes: one minute, one day you feel as if it's the end for you, then the next minute/day everything seems ok again. In my opinion I'd just ignore the posts that irritate you and respond to those with which you can identify and perhaps offer assistance. All of us here have our problems (not counting trolls and trouble makers who only come here to cause problems:dry: ) and we have to deal with our own problems. I do find, however, that I feel better about myself when I'm doing something kind or constructive for someone else. One last point: all of here are human beings going thru rough times, even the 'attention seekers'.

just my opinion,

13. Saoirse

Saoirse Guest

Kanani sees what I'm trying to say.
  14. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

After reading a certain thread, I understand what you mean 100%.
    Wonder why cutting is associated with attention seeking?..
  15. The_Discarded

The_Discarded Staff Alumni

For the most part, I see what you're saying.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.