Can anyone give me some advice?

robroy

Hey I've just started therapy and I need to tell my parents as I am still covered by their health insurance. My relationship with my parents has always been about convincing them I am happy which I have done pretty well, but now I have to admit that there is something wrong and I need help. Has anyone dealt with a similar situation and/or have any advice to help me talk with my parents?

True-Lee

Hey I've just started therapy and I need to tell my parents as I am still covered by their health insurance. My relationship with my parents has always been about convincing them I am happy which I have done pretty well, but now I have to admit that there is something wrong and I need help. Has anyone dealt with a similar situation and/or have any advice to help me talk with my parents?
Robroy, I will try! I am glad to see that you have taken that step, Congrats! I am so glad that you have! I don't know your parents, I don't have to, I guess I will say that I feel and believe they have done a good job raising you for the most part, from what I can tell any ways. that might be a good place to start for you to tell them that! I want to ask you a question though, for you to consider If you had another health issue, like needed surgery or medication, would you hesitate? This may be looked on as different by some as a different story, I don't think it really is, there are potential life threatening conditions with some as there are with what you say you are going through so think about that, with anything else I am going to say, it may be a shock to your parents, but they are YOUR parents think about what you are going to say, I think that you appear to me to be kind and considerate, your parents, no matter what, may need some of that. remember they love you but be gentle, that might make a difference in how they react initially, this is going to be as hard on them as much as it has been for you! I don't know if they have any idea what you are going through that might be something else you may want to consider, try to be prepared yourself, get some information on the problems that you have so you can talk with them about what you have and how it may be dealt with! Maybe give them some information on it something they can read or the numbers of people they can call, associations they can call , you might find someone that will talk to them f possible that will give them an unbiased opinion! I don't have all the answers some others on here might be able to give you more ot better ones, My Family found out seeing an ambulance outside of my house with police there as well, Had I been thinking at the time I probably done it a little differently! I think some of these will get you started or give you an Idea where you may want to go! Take care of yourself You are I believe a very considerate an kind person! You are starting from a good Place! I do wish you the best!

Acy

Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense
Admin
SF Supporter
Maybe just be honest? Keep it fairly short and simple: "Mom, Dad...I've been having a hard time and feel really down these days. I am seeing a therapist for it. I just wanted to let you know. Maybe we can talk a bit about this if you guys want to?"

That sounds so easy, I know. Most parents and families are quite understanding - they don't want their loved one hurting. If they are not understanding, it is still your decision to get therapy, and if you find it helps, that's really what matters.

I hope your folks give you a supportive response when you do tell them. Let us know how it goes. Thinking of you and wishing you the best! (hug)

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00