Can anyone relate here? I need some advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gag

So lately my depression has changed my personality big time. (this is going to be a rant of sorts, so if you don't feel like reading, you may as well exit now.)

I can't talk to my parents without feeling irritated, I mean I love them and all, but for whatever reason I can't have a conversation without going off on them.

I can't enjoy myself with my friends (I don't feel as bad if I'm drunk, but I still never feel good or enjoy myself). When I'm sober I still act the same way I used to around them, and we hang out just as much as ever, but I really don't care what it is they say or do, I barely pay attention to them, and can't have a serious conversation with them anymore. (before I had no problem have a serious chat with my buddies, but lately I just crack jokes and mess around, can't handle a serious topic)

The only time I even feel close to being content is when I'm drunk. When I'm high I still feel incredibly depressed, sometimes it makes me depression worse, other times it helps a bit.

With the exception of my friends and the girl I want to go back with, I don't really care what anyone thinks of me.

I can't respond to a question quickely anymore (vocally that is), before I could pull out an answer immediatley, now I have to hesitate, and still end up saying something stupid.

The only thing I look forward to anymore is getting as drunk as I possibly can every weekend.

I have no motivation to do anything really, I basically stopped caring about life.

Whenever I meet someone new I feel as if they immediatley don't like me, which doesn't really bother me, I've sort of gotten used to it.
Whether they do or don't like me, I have no idea.

I feel like the only way I can be happy is if I get back with the girl I was with, but she wants nothing to do with me and I have no idea why, which really bothers me.

I could continue on longer, but I think you guys get the jist of it...
Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

prakash

I sympathise with you and also emphasize. We all get into problems sometimes. I also had problems. I got into this bad organization and lost all my money. I got fired from jobs. I had no money. My wife left me and started affair with a friend of mine.
I also started drinking whisky. Drinking helped me in that they numbed my pain. But I knew "God helps those who help themselves". So, I started to help myself. I was treated badly by my relatives.

I helped myself. I got a job. I made some good friends, which was a great start. I even got a girlfriend whom I later left. I probably wanted to take revenge for how the world had treated me earlier.

Things started getting better. I got a better job with more money. Now that I had money, the same relatives who had left me started to become nice to me.

Then I quit drinking. Now I drink moderately. Bad habits never leave you.

I have faith that you too can solve your problems but it is you who can do that. Others can give you advice but you alone have to do it.

89mike

gag I feel exactly the same way as you; I gave up everything I actually enjoy and don't really care about my life anymore. I hope I can try to find some nice girl as that is the only plesure I can see in life at the moment. I drink a lot too, when I drink I forget a lot of my problems and become a new person which probably is not a good thing as I'll probably over do it once...

gag

Yeah, I've basically got the same perspective, unless I can get a good relationship with a woman (which I can't see happening, even though I've been with my share of women in my day), I really don't think my life will get any better.

You are in a skeptic/nihililistic position right now. Ya, your ex is out of the picture now.

But now consider this. Is there any one thing in the world that you cannot doubt? Nothing seems certain. Just plain and the same and stuff.

So now you could question, Does anything have value, or even exist? Is there even meaning. It could just be pointless junk coming out everytime we move our jaw up and down. Is the world anything at all?

Very few people ever doubted their own existence. It depends on the definition. Our world is based off of empiricism. We are what we percieve. So it could be that everything we say or think or do, doesn't matter at all, except to us and humanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00